question re wireless network + bridge

Old February 9th 05, 06:21 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Gaz

Default question re wireless network + bridge

I have a wireless network (3com office adsl router), two wired devices and
one wireless.

I am wanting to add two further devices to the network, both devices are
next to each other, but to far away from the router for a wired connection.

The devices do not have the internal capacity for wireless (xbox and
modified tivo), and as such will need a 'bridge' (as i understand it) to get
onto the wireless network.

Ideally this bridge would (like a router) enable more then one device to
attach to it (both the xbox and the tivo) simultaneously. Having a hunt
around, it seems to be a bit tricky to find a bridge with multiple inputs. I
assume that a switch (with both devices connected) connected to a bridge
would do the job, this is a bit messy.

I noticed that my adslrouter has, in the configuration, the option for
'bridge', do many/all wireless routers have this capacity? how does one
handle the ip addresses etc?

Gaz

Old February 9th 05, 08:51 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Tony

"Gaz" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

You will need a wireless client such as a D-Link DWL-810+
http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=0&pid=21 plugged into a switch or a hub
or if you want something with faster throughput the DWL-G810
http://www.dlink.com/products/?model=DWL-G810

Old February 9th 05, 09:51 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jon

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 18:21:06 -0000, Gaz wrote:
I have a wireless network (3com office adsl router), two wired devices and
one wireless.

I am wanting to add two further devices to the network, both devices are
next to each other, but to far away from the router for a wired connection.

When you say they are too far away to be wired to the network then
they are probably too far away to get a good wireless connection.
If you mean that it would be tricky to run cat5 around the house there
is still a fair chance you won't get a reliable enough connection with
wireless to run a Xbox.

[..]
I noticed that my adslrouter has, in the configuration, the option for
'bridge', do many/all wireless routers have this capacity? how does one
handle the ip addresses etc?

You don't want bridge mode, you'll lose your network

Gaz

Cheers
Jon

--

Mail sent to the above address doesn't get read.
To send email replace domain with fastmail.co.uk
Old February 9th 05, 10:26 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Gaz

Jon wrote:
On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 18:21:06 -0000, Gaz wrote:
I have a wireless network (3com office adsl router), two wired
devices and one wireless.

I am wanting to add two further devices to the network, both devices
are next to each other, but to far away from the router for a wired
connection.

When you say they are too far away to be wired to the network then
they are probably too far away to get a good wireless connection.
If you mean that it would be tricky to run cat5 around the house there
is still a fair chance you won't get a reliable enough connection with
wireless to run a Xbox.

The latter, the wireless is no problem, I can connect my xbox to my laptop
with cat5 and connect the laptop to the wireless network and xbox live works
fine, just wanting a permanent solution..........

[..]
I noticed that my adslrouter has, in the configuration, the option
for 'bridge', do many/all wireless routers have this capacity? how
does one handle the ip addresses etc?

You don't want bridge mode, you'll lose your network

I was considering buying a second wireless router, and using it in 'bridge'
mode, is possible, hence the question

thanks

Gaz

Gaz

Cheers
Jon

Old February 9th 05, 10:32 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jon

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 22:26:48 -0000, Gaz wrote:

I was considering buying a second wireless router, and using it in 'bridge'
mode, is possible, hence the question

thanks

Gaz

You'll just need to check that the two wireless routers will "talk" to
each other in bridge mode.
I know alot of APs need to be same make to bridge, Don't know about
wireless routers, you'll need to read your 3com spec sheet.
Older stuff couldn't be used as an access point once in bridge mode,
might be different now.
Cheers
Jon

Old February 9th 05, 10:58 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Alex Fraser

"Gaz" wrote in message
.. .
[snip]
Ideally this bridge would (like a router) enable more then one device to
attach to it (both the xbox and the tivo) simultaneously. Having a hunt
around, it seems to be a bit tricky to find a bridge with multiple
inputs. I assume that a switch (with both devices connected) connected to
a bridge would do the job, this is a bit messy.

As Tony said, you need something that can function as a wireless client (of
your router), as well as bridge.

I noticed that my adslrouter has, in the configuration, the option for
'bridge', do many/all wireless routers have this capacity?

I imagine this refers to a bridged ADSL connection, which is entirely
different (but FWIW most routers do support it).

All wireless-capable routers I know of have can bridge wired and wireless
networks together, but none of them can function as a wireless client.

AFAIK, the only devices that can act as a wireless client and bridge to
wired Ethernet are access points, and they all have only one Ethernet port,
so I'm afraid you're probably stuck with the "messy" solution.

Alex