Advice Req adding second access point to system

Old February 10th 05, 10:01 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Black

Default Advice Req adding second access point to system

Hello,

I need a little advice on adding a second access point to my LAN.

Here are the details from the access point already running:
Netgear DG834G MkII
Access Point1 IP 192.168.0.1
Default Gateway 192.168.0.1
DHCP Enabled
Five IP addresses from 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.6 have been reserved for
equipment that is already in use using this access point.

What I need to know is the following:

By default, the new access point has an IP address of 192.168.0.50, Is this
OK, or is there any reason to change this to something else?

Should the default gateway on the new access point be the same as the
default gateway on access point 1 (192.168.0.1)?

Can DHCP be in used on the second access point, seeing as DHCP is already
being used by access point 1, and are they likely to clash with DHCP being
enabled on both?

I assume that I need to set a different channel for the new access point, is
there any advisable channel spacing that will make reception better? AP1
currently uses channel 11, whilst the new AP2 is currently set to channel 6.

I ask these questions because I tried ruuning the new access point last
night and the wireless client failed to log in, and I kept getting a message
saying 'Trying to aquire network address', it then failed and ended up with
a weird IP address that looked nothing like anything associated with my LAN.

I have also noticed a setting for making the access point a repeater. If I
set it up as a repeater, is it likely to work OK with equipment from another
manufacturer? The new access point is a DWL-900AP+, whilst access point 1 is
a Netgear DG834G

Thanks
Bob

Many Thanks

Old February 10th 05, 11:07 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jon

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 10:01:14 -0000, Rob Black wrote:
Hello,

I need a little advice on adding a second access point to my LAN.

Here are the details from the access point already running:
Netgear DG834G MkII
Access Point1 IP 192.168.0.1
DHCP Enabled
Five IP addresses from 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.6 have been reserved for
equipment that is already in use using this access point.

What I need to know is the following:

By default, the new access point has an IP address of 192.168.0.50, Is this
OK, or is there any reason to change this to something else?

You can keep the default ip address

Should the default gateway on the new access point be the same as the
default gateway on access point 1 (192.168.0.1)?

Yes

Can DHCP be in used on the second access point, seeing as DHCP is already
being used by access point 1, and are they likely to clash with DHCP being
enabled on both?

They will probably clash

I assume that I need to set a different channel for the new access point, is
there any advisable channel spacing that will make reception better? AP1
currently uses channel 11, whilst the new AP2 is currently set to channel 6.

You need the same channel and ssid

I ask these questions because I tried ruuning the new access point last
night and the wireless client failed to log in, and I kept getting a message
saying 'Trying to aquire network address', it then failed and ended up with
a weird IP address that looked nothing like anything associated with my LAN.

What mode did you try the new access point in?

I have also noticed a setting for making the access point a repeater. If I
set it up as a repeater, is it likely to work OK with equipment from another
manufacturer? The new access point is a DWL-900AP+, whilst access point 1 is
a Netgear DG834G

The Dlink wont, or is not documented to work in repeater mode with APs
of diffrent makes but you can try it.

You should be able to put it into client mode and it will accociate
with your Netgear AP

Thanks
Bob

Many Thanks

--

Mail sent to the above address doesn't get read.
To send email replace domain with fastmail.co.uk
Old February 10th 05, 06:02 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Steve

"Jon" wrote in message

I assume that I need to set a different channel for the new access point,
is
there any advisable channel spacing that will make reception better? AP1
currently uses channel 11, whilst the new AP2 is currently set to channel
6.

You need the same channel and ssid

Same channel and SSID? That doesn't sound right to me.

Certainly same channel is wrong!

Steve

Old February 10th 05, 06:33 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jon

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 18:02:36 -0000, Steve wrote:

"Jon" wrote in message

I assume that I need to set a different channel for the new access point,
is
there any advisable channel spacing that will make reception better? AP1
currently uses channel 11, whilst the new AP2 is currently set to channel
6.

You need the same channel and ssid

Same channel and SSID? That doesn't sound right to me.

Certainly same channel is wrong!

Steve

I wouldn't say "certainly" wrong. If the two APs are connecting
wirelessly they would need to be the same.
One of the questions was regarding setting the dlink up as a repeater
so I assume they will connect via wireless.
If roaming is required then I don't think the 900ap+ supports this
unless there has been a firmware upgrade.
Cheers
Jon