wireless strangeness

Old February 10th 05, 11:48 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Christo

Default wireless strangeness

i have a laptop setup with a home wireless network (ad-hoc) it has a onboard
intel wireless 2200BG card

it runs from my desktop with a belkin 54Mbps card (802.11g) and it always
runs at 54Mbps so the card on the laptop can operate at 802.11g speeds

now i take the laptop to university where my friend who uses a PCMCIA
wireless 802.11g card gets about 48Mbps

now im no expert on the wireless thing but shouldnt onboard be better than
PC card? because onboard has a larger aerial (around the monitor)

at uni i have only been getting speeds of 11Mbps (801.11b) which is weird
since my friend gets faster speeds

there have even been occasions where my connection to the university has
just cut off and the speed has been as low as... wait for it

1Mbps!!!!

now

why?

my laptop is obviously fine because it works great at home

but at uni it doesnt connect as 802.11g which it should if my friend can
connect at 48Mbps which is a little slower than fastest but is much nicer

since i am accessing files over the network and what not the speed is quite
a factor, can anyone give me any hints or tips on settings to check etc t
get it to connect at 802.11g speeds of upto 54Mbps?

cheers

Chris

Old February 10th 05, 04:46 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article , Christo says...
[...]

Some brands don't get on well with others. Also at Uni you may get
interference from many sources and indeed other wireless LANs.

--
Conor

-- George Patton
Old February 10th 05, 05:38 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Christo

"Conor" wrote in message
. ..
In article , Christo says...
[...]

yeah i was sitting really really close to my friend whilst it happened, also
the specific area is not designated as a wireless area, i just found it
weird my friends card would work great and mine so crap, i mean intel arent
really a ****e brand are they? granted they aint no super duper top quality
brand but surely the standardization of it all now would mean i could
connect at similar speeds as my friend and not 1.0 Mbps

which is a joke really

1Mbps is pathetically slow

Old February 12th 05, 09:45 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jack Turner

you said 11mbps. which is correct, 1mbps or 11?

--
Regards, Posting from:
Jack Turner? ¤Sunny Ol' Wolverhampton

Old February 12th 05, 12:31 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Christo

"Jack Turner" wrote in message
. uk...
you said 11mbps. which is correct, 1mbps or 11?

--
Regards, Posting from:
Jack Turner? ¤Sunny Ol' Wolverhampton

it shoots between the two

11Mbps is an acceptable speed although it would be nier if i could get
48Mbps like my friend does

the intel wireless 2200BG does operate at 54Mbps (G) speeds because it does
in my home network

occasionally i only get 1Mbps which plain sucks!

i was just curious as to wh it was going so god damn slow on my laptop
whilst my friend was sitting right next to me and was able to get 48Mbps?

wierd?