WAG54G-UK with dedicated IP's

Old February 11th 05, 08:41 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
WipeOut

Default WAG54G-UK with dedicated IP's

Hi,

I seem to be having problems with my WAG54G-UK accessing the internet..

I have static IP's and I am sure I have configured the router correctly
but it just won't route.. My old cheapy connexant based router works fine..

Is there a trick to getting this to work?
Whats the latest firmware for this and where can I get it?

Thanks
Old February 12th 05, 06:05 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jimbo

WipeOut wrote:
Hi,

I seem to be having problems with my WAG54G-UK accessing the internet..

I have static IP's and I am sure I have configured the router correctly
but it just won't route.. My old cheapy connexant based router works fine..

Hmmm, I'm guessing if you have static IP addresses then the problem is
with that setup rather than the router. A couple of obvious things to
check (sorry if this may seem patronizing but...) :

1. The static IP addresses and the IP addresses of your router match the
netmask. e.g.

IP address 1 = 192.168.0.2
Router IP address = 192.168.0.1
Netmask for IP address 1 is 255.255.255.0

2. That the static IP address machines have the Router IP address set up
as the default gateway. This ensures that any destination IP addresses
that don't match the netmask are sent the router to be routed.

Hope this helps
James.
Old February 13th 05, 11:05 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
WipeOut

Jimbo wrote:
WipeOut wrote:

[...]

Hi James,

I worked it out..

First I had to upgrade the firmware to get the router to behave..

Second.. For some reason the router seemed to want the first IP in my
range as the WAN side and the second in my range as the LAN side.. This
makes no sense to me since a router shouldn't work having two IP's from
the same subnet on WAN and LAN ports..

Anyway thats what gets it working..

This is the second Linksys product I have used.. I don't think there
will be a third..

Later..