Wireless network problem

Old February 12th 05, 05:39 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
M Jones

Default Wireless network problem

Hi all,

I've 2 machines Win98SE and WinXP connected together with Actiontec wireless
adaptors. I'm using the XP machine to connect to the net. I can browse web
pages and newsgroups etc through ICS but I'm unable to access files/folders
on the XP machine from the Win98 machine .

When I try to browse the XP machine through network neighbourhood I get an
error message "No permission to access resource". I've checked and made
sure everything is shared on the XP machine and it is.

I've even disabled the XP firewall. Does anybody have any idea what it
could be?

Thanks

Old February 12th 05, 07:16 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jeff Gaines

On 12/02/2005 M Jones wrote:

Hi all,

I've 2 machines Win98SE and WinXP connected together with Actiontec
wireless adaptors. I'm using the XP machine to connect to the net.
I can browse web pages and newsgroups etc through ICS but I'm unable
to access files/folders on the XP machine from the Win98 machine .

When I try to browse the XP machine through network neighbourhood I
get an error message "No permission to access resource". I've
checked and made sure everything is shared on the XP machine and it
is.

I've even disabled the XP firewall. Does anybody have any idea what
it could be?

Thanks

This is probably XP's security kicking in.

You need to set up a user on the 98SE machine with the same name and PW
you use on the XP machine, and then log on to the 98SE machine using
that name and PW.

--
Jeff Gaines
Posted with XanaNews 1.17.2.6
Old February 12th 05, 07:42 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
M Jones

I tried that. I get exactly the same error message. I've logged in as the
same user name and I removed the password on my XP machine just in case.

Could it be that I need to add another protocol on my Win98 machine?

Old February 12th 05, 08:39 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jeff Gaines

On 12/02/2005 M Jones wrote:

I tried that. I get exactly the same error message. I've logged in
as the same user name and I removed the password on my XP machine
just in case.

Could it be that I need to add another protocol on my Win98 machine?

You're testing my memory a bit here, I haven't used 98 for years :-)

You could check that the same protocols are on each machine, TCP/IP is
the key one for XP. Have you specifically shared the folders you are
interested in on the XP machine?

--
Jeff Gaines
Posted with XanaNews 1.17.2.6
Old February 13th 05, 01:47 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
superdee

Do both machines have the same network name ?
superdee
Old February 13th 05, 05:30 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
M Jones

Yes. Both are names as "HOME"

Old February 13th 05, 07:19 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jeff Gaines

On 13/02/2005 M Jones wrote:

I tried that. I get exactly the same error message. I've logged in
as the same user name and I removed the password on my XP machine
just in case.

Could it be that I need to add another protocol on my Win98 machine?

I guess my first reply didn't make it to your server, I'll try again:

Old February 13th 05, 08:16 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
superdee

I had a similar problem and ended up installing XP on my other
machine.

I think there is a microsoft knowledge base article on this.
superdee
Old February 13th 05, 08:24 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
M Jones

Yes. I've given full access and shares to all drives/folders on my hard
disks on my XP machine.

This problem is driving me nuts. I've tried all sorts of things since I
first posted and I'm really stuck. I can browse Win98 machine using the XP
machine but not the other way round. I've enabled guest account because I
saw it as a possible solution when I searched google but I get exactly the
same error. Do I need to install and configure NetBIOS or something?