Remote access and dynamic IP

Old February 14th 05, 11:55 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Periproct

Default Remote access and dynamic IP

First off, I'm very much the newbie to all this but.....

I'd like to get access to my PC remotely but have dynamic IP. I understand
there are utilities that will upload your IP address to a web site whenever
it changes. From my limited knowledge this could either be my web site space
given to me by my provider or to a site that specifically provides this
service. The 'own web site' method has the disavantage that I'd have to
learn how to get my own web site up and running but would like to have a go
at that anyway.
Has anybody got any recommendations for the best solution to the dynamic IP
side of things?

For info, I'm still running Win ME (but have XP if that would make things
easier) and have a 3Com ADSL modem/router. Service provider is BT.
I am intending to use PC Anywhere to allow access to files on my home PC
remotely as well as accessing the surveillance cameras that are being
recorded on a second PC off the 3Com router. If I get a decent TV card I
guess I could set up recordings remotely as well.

Excuse me for being lazy and not doing my research via google but I reckon
someone on here will have the experience to point me in right direction and
save me a lot of time.

Regards, Nigel

Old February 14th 05, 12:24 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article , Periproct says...

www.no-ip.com

--
Conor

-- George Patton
Old February 14th 05, 12:59 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Periproct

I'd like to get access to my PC remotely but have dynamic IP. I

understand
there are utilities that will upload your IP address to a web site

whenever
it changes. From my limited knowledge this could either be my web site

space
given to me by my provider or to a site that specifically provides this
service.

Excuse me for being lazy and not doing my research via google but I

reckon
someone on here will have the experience to point me in right direction

and
save me a lot of time.

www.no-ip.com
--
Conor

Thanks for that. That is the one I found via google but I thought I'd see
what everyone came up with on here in case there was better/easier options.

Old February 14th 05, 01:55 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Paul D.Smith

Warning! The various Dynamic DNS providers apparently use proprietry
protocols. If you have an ADSL router, check which protocols (i.e.
providers) it supports.

FYI, Netgear support only Dynamic DNS through www.dyndns.org.

Paul DS.

Old February 14th 05, 07:54 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Alex Fraser

"Paul D.Smith" wrote in message
. net...
Warning! The various Dynamic DNS providers apparently use proprietry
protocols.

This is true. However, in most cases running a client on a machine behind
the router will work fine.

Alex

Old February 14th 05, 09:51 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Anton G˙sen

Alex Fraser wrote:

"Paul D.Smith" wrote in message
. net...

Warning! The various Dynamic DNS providers apparently use proprietry
protocols.

This is true. However, in most cases running a client on a machine behind
the router will work fine.

Or combine the two My IPCop box (I know I know, "my IPCop box this",
"my IPCop box that") automatically updates my no-ip.com name every time
I connect.
Old February 15th 05, 09:58 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Periproct

"Anton G˙sen" wrote in
message ...
Alex Fraser wrote:

"Paul D.Smith" wrote in message
. net...

Warning! The various Dynamic DNS providers apparently use proprietry
protocols.

This is true. However, in most cases running a client on a machine

behind
the router will work fine.

Or combine the two My IPCop box (I know I know, "my IPCop box this",
"my IPCop box that") automatically updates my no-ip.com name every time
I connect.

Thanks everybody for the info. I'll sign up with no-ip when I've worked out
the rest of it. Could be some time. :-)

Regards

Old February 18th 05, 11:50 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dave J

In within uk.comp.home-networking,
'Alex Fraser' wrote:

"Paul D.Smith" wrote in message
.net...
Warning! The various Dynamic DNS providers apparently use proprietry
protocols.

This is true. However, in most cases running a client on a machine behind
the router will work fine.

Providing it 'knows' when your IP changes that is...

I quite like http://freedns.afraid.org/ - I like the feel of the site
(almost said I like the feel of the author but I don't think that would
translate too well over usenet.. )

The really nice thing though is that if you don't want to bother with a
client then you can just open a particular web page whenever you log in to
your ISP and the IP record is automatically updated. It also makes it good
and easy to write your own client if you're that way inclined.

To Alex, I've been too lazy to finish the SNMP thing so I'm cheating and
reading http://whatismyip.com every 30 min. Sadly I'm going to have to do
something soon because their URL is now 'up for auction at ebay'

--
Dave Johnson -