NTL Broadband Cable

Old February 14th 05, 07:35 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
gbnews

Default NTL Broadband Cable

Hi guys,

I've only dealt with ADSL lines. A friend is getting NTL Broadband
installed in the next couple of days. What do NTL provide? is it just a
cable modem that has a ethernet port to plug in to a NIC in Laptop/PC?

If so, with regards of making it Wireless enabled, I just need to get a
Wireless enabled router and a wireless card.

Then the cable modem ethernet out goes in to the wireless router right? much
configuration need doing? does the MAC need to be spoofed?

Would appreciate a quick heads up on the gear NTL use.

TIA,

--
gbnews )

Old February 14th 05, 07:42 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Alex Fraser

"gbnews" wrote in message
[snip]
Would appreciate a quick heads up on the gear NTL use.

Try this site: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/

Alex

Old February 14th 05, 08:01 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
gbnews

Alex Fraser wrote:
"gbnews" wrote in message
[snip]
Would appreciate a quick heads up on the gear NTL use.

Try this site: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/

Alex

Brilliant, good stuff. Thanks,
--
gbnews )

Old February 15th 05, 10:41 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Euan Kerr

Alison wrote in
:

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 19:35:23 -0000, "gbnews"
wrote:

Hi guys,

I've only dealt with ADSL lines. A friend is getting NTL
Broadband installed in the next couple of days. What do NTL
provide? is it just a cable modem that has a ethernet port to
plug in to a NIC in Laptop/PC?

Yes, although I believe they do have an option to connect direct
from the set-top box. Make sure you ask for a cable modem.

If so, with regards of making it Wireless enabled, I just need
to get a Wireless enabled router and a wireless card.

Yes

Then the cable modem ethernet out goes in to the wireless router
right? much configuration need doing? does the MAC need to be
spoofed?

No, but it's a good idea to register the connection with a
directly wired PC first, before bringing in the router. One step
at a time and all that.

I have a Linksys WRT54G running quite happily with the NTL
connection here.

--
Alison

Just being picky on a few details:
- modem and STB both have an Ethernet and a USB port - the latter
being irrelevant if you want to use a router.

- if you already have a STB, I doubt you'll be successfull asking for
a separate modem. And I'm not sure why it would matter anyway.

- don't forget to set up security on your wireless LAN. Get 11g with
WPA security capable kit. Some lower-priced stuff may be 11b and/or
WEP only.

See this site for detailled information:
http://www.networklab.co.uk/cmodem/