Printer troubles

Old February 15th 05, 11:49 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Iain Dingsdale

Default Printer troubles

Got my network set up as follows:

Cable modem-NIC1 on computer running SME server
NIC2 on server-Wireless access point/switch-4 wireless clients and 2 wired
ones

I use the server box for routing/firewall/web cache/email server/windows
file server/print server

The problem I have is with the print server, its a USB samsung laser printer
which works... kind of. I set it up on the web interface, gave it a name and
port etc. It appears in windows networing fine, and when i install the
drivers it works fine. However, whenever i do anything with the printer on a
client machine - ie try and open the print queue, or actually print
something, there is a massive delay before anything happens. I'll open a pdf
file, and click the print button, and adobe reader will freeze for about 20
seconds before the print window appears. Then i click ok, and it freezes
again for about 20 seconds before it starts printing.
This is very annoying because i do a lot of printing. Word gave me an error
the other day about being unable to get the printer status and would i like
to carry on without it. I have unchecked "enable advanced printing features"
and it seems to have imprived things a tad but not much!
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!