file sharing problem

Old February 16th 05, 12:20 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
David Ould

Default file sharing problem

have a small problem with a home network. Wonder if people can help.

I have a desktop running XP Home networked wirelessly to a laptop
running XP Pro. The desktop has a broadband connection which the laptop
uses to access the internet.

So far, so good.

I have, however, been completely unsuccessful in my endeavours to share
files. In windows explorer each machine can see the network under the path

my network places\Entire Network\Microsoft windows network\"network name"

but clicking on the actual network wont give any further information.

I've run network setup wizard on each machine and marked the folders
that I want to share as "share with network" in their properties on
windows explorer

any advice would be greatfully received

--
David Ould
http://ould.bravehost.com
Old February 16th 05, 12:42 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
[ste parker]

David Ould wrote:
have a small problem with a home network. Wonder if people can help.

I have a desktop running XP Home networked wirelessly to a laptop
running XP Pro. The desktop has a broadband connection which the laptop
uses to access the internet.

So far, so good.

I have, however, been completely unsuccessful in my endeavours to share
files. In windows explorer each machine can see the network under the path

my network places\Entire Network\Microsoft windows network\"network name"

but clicking on the actual network wont give any further information.

I've run network setup wizard on each machine and marked the folders
that I want to share as "share with network" in their properties on
windows explorer

any advice would be greatfully received

Does mapping a drive to the IP address of the other machine work?

eg. map Z: to //192.168.0.x/asharedfolder

--
[ste]
Proof PES4 is preferable to the real thing: http://tinyurl.com/3r72e
Old February 16th 05, 08:22 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Iain Dingsdale

"David Ould" wrote in message
have a small problem with a home network. Wonder if people can help.

I have a desktop running XP Home networked wirelessly to a laptop running
XP Pro. The desktop has a broadband connection which the laptop uses to
access the internet.

So far, so good.

I have, however, been completely unsuccessful in my endeavours to share
files. In windows explorer each machine can see the network under the path

my network places\Entire Network\Microsoft windows network\"network name"

but clicking on the actual network wont give any further information.

I've run network setup wizard on each machine and marked the folders that
I want to share as "share with network" in their properties on windows
explorer

any advice would be greatfully received

have you got a firewall running?

--
David Ould
http://ould.bravehost.com

Old February 17th 05, 12:11 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
David Ould

[ste parker] wrote:
David Ould wrote:

[...]

no, I've tried that. no joy.

--
David Ould
http://ould.bravehost.com
Old February 17th 05, 12:12 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
David Ould

Iain Dingsdale wrote:
"David Ould" wrote in message

have a small problem with a home network. Wonder if people can help.

I have a desktop running XP Home networked wirelessly to a laptop running
XP Pro. The desktop has a broadband connection which the laptop uses to
access the internet.

So far, so good.

I have, however, been completely unsuccessful in my endeavours to share
files. In windows explorer each machine can see the network under the path

my network places\Entire Network\Microsoft windows network\"network name"

but clicking on the actual network wont give any further information.

I've run network setup wizard on each machine and marked the folders that
I want to share as "share with network" in their properties on windows
explorer

any advice would be greatfully received

have you got a firewall running?

yes. Norton is running on both. No warnings from norton, though.

--
David Ould
http://ould.bravehost.com
Old February 17th 05, 03:43 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
WebWalker

If your XP is in SP2 than try the "Wireless Network Setup Wizard" in
Control Panel. It will create a executable file in CD-R or floppy disk
or Thumb drive.
Run this file in every networked computer.

--
WebWalker
Old February 17th 05, 08:15 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Iain Dingsdale

"David Ould" wrote in message
Iain Dingsdale wrote:
"David Ould" wrote in message

[...]

open norton, set up a trusted zone for your network range. ie if your
machines use 192.168.0.*, use 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.255 as a range. never
got norton to work with windoze file sharing before without doing this first

--
David Ould
http://ould.bravehost.com

Old February 17th 05, 08:15 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Iain Dingsdale

"David Ould" wrote in message
[ste parker] wrote:
David Ould wrote:

[...]

definetely norton doing it - try disabling it to start with

--
David Ould
http://ould.bravehost.com

Old February 17th 05, 09:44 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
David Ould

Iain Dingsdale wrote:
"David Ould" wrote in message

Iain Dingsdale wrote:

"David Ould" wrote in message

[...]

thanks!!! it worked!!!!
very grateful

--
David Ould
http://ould.bravehost.com
Old February 17th 05, 10:37 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
tougharms

"Iain Dingsdale" wrote in
:

"David Ould" wrote in message

[...]