networking router question

Old February 16th 05, 11:40 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
big

Default networking router question

At the moment, I have both my PCs hooked up via wire. I can file, print &
internet share. I would like to get a wireless network router but my modem
is an internal one. I would like to know if there is a router out there that
will allow me to set up this network, but I guess that I will have to ditch
the internal one & just get a router with built in modem??
TIA
Stu

Old February 17th 05, 06:41 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
lurch

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 23:40:36 -0000, "big" strung
together this:

At the moment, I have both my PCs hooked up via wire. I can file, print &
internet share. I would like to get a wireless network router but my modem
is an internal one. I would like to know if there is a router out there that
will allow me to set up this network, but I guess that I will have to ditch
the internal one & just get a router with built in modem??

ADSL or dial-up?

Assuming ADSL then the modem needs to be on the back of the router, it
won't work if it's in the PC. There are plenty of ADSL modem\router
combo's out there, although I always prefer to use seperate units.
--

SJW
Old February 17th 05, 11:57 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
big

"Lurch" wrote in message
On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 23:40:36 -0000, "big" strung
together this:

At the moment, I have both my PCs hooked up via wire. I can file, print &
internet share. I would like to get a wireless network router but my modem
is an internal one. I would like to know if there is a router out there
that
will allow me to set up this network, but I guess that I will have to
ditch
the internal one & just get a router with built in modem??

ADSL or dial-up?

Assuming ADSL then the modem needs to be on the back of the router, it
won't work if it's in the PC. There are plenty of ADSL modem\router
combo's out there, although I always prefer to use seperate units.
--

Yeah, it's ADSL and I kind of guessed that a new external modem or
modem/router would be needed. Just thought that I would ask if it was

Old February 24th 05, 11:05 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Hiccy

"big" wrote in message
At the moment, I have both my PCs hooked up via wire. I can file, print &
internet share. I would like to get a wireless network router but my modem
is an internal one. I would like to know if there is a router out there

that
will allow me to set up this network, but I guess that I will have to

ditch
the internal one & just get a router with built in modem??
TIA
Stu

It would be possible to hook up a wireless router into the ethernet card of
the PC with the modem in it, but for the hassle involved you'd pay the
meagre amount more to get a wireless modem router everytime