Download Statistics

Old February 17th 05, 06:07 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

Default Download Statistics

I'm looking in to a broadband package with a monthly download limit
for a relative.

I have a normal ADSL myself but haven't a clue how much traffic is
downloaded or sent - I've tried looking at my Draytek ADSL modem but
it shows packets and blocks rather than K/Bytes.

Is there a simple way of just monitoring the bandwidth traffic?

Geoff Lane

Old February 17th 05, 11:19 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Alex Fraser

"Geoff Lane" wrote in message
I'm looking in to a broadband package with a monthly download limit
for a relative.

I have a normal ADSL myself but haven't a clue how much traffic is
downloaded or sent - I've tried looking at my Draytek ADSL modem but
it shows packets and blocks rather than K/Bytes.

Is there a simple way of just monitoring the bandwidth traffic?

You could assume 1600 bytes per packet which guarantees an overestimate.
It's possible that "blocks" corresponds to ATM cells, in which case
multiplying by 48 should give a slight overestimate of the number of bytes.

It probably supports SNMP, and if so you should be able to get the
information with a tool such as http://www.paessler.com/prtg (which I've
never used but was the first relatively simple-looking thing I found for
Windows).

Alex

Old February 18th 05, 07:51 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Periproct

"Alex Fraser" wrote in message
"Geoff Lane" wrote in message
[...]

There is DuMeter http://www.dumeter.com/

and the freeware NetMeter http://readerror.gmxhome.de/

but neither of them appear to be showing my true upload figures. If anybody
has any ideas why that may be I'd love to know.

Old February 18th 05, 08:32 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Alex Fraser

"Geoff Lane" wrote in message
[...]

These are not so good if you have a router, because they will count local
traffic too.

but neither of them appear to be showing my true upload figures. If
anybody has any ideas why that may be I'd love to know.

How do you know they aren't?

Alex

Old February 18th 05, 08:45 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 20:32:30 -0000, "Alex Fraser"
wrote:

It probably supports SNMP, and if so you should be able to get the
information with a tool such as http://www.paessler.com/prtg (which
I've never used but was the first relatively simple-looking thing I
found for Windows).

There is DuMeter http://www.dumeter.com/

and the freeware NetMeter http://readerror.gmxhome.de/

These are not so good if you have a router, because they will count local
traffic too.

I'm operating behind a router, that's why I thought the router would
have some kind of counter.

Geoff Lane

Old February 19th 05, 12:29 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Periproct

There is DuMeter http://www.dumeter.com/

and the freeware NetMeter http://readerror.gmxhome.de/

These are not so good if you have a router, because they will count local
traffic too.

but neither of them appear to be showing my true upload figures. If
anybody has any ideas why that may be I'd love to know.

How do you know they aren't?

Alex

Maybe I shouldn't stick my oar in here on this newsgroup because there is so
much I don't understand. I've just discovered BT Internet are introducing
capping so I had a trawl around to find some utilities that would give me an
idea of how much I'm downloading each month.

Should I admit this? I'm doing a bit of file sharing and I can see people
uploading from me but NetMeter is showing 0kBs upload.

This is where I show my ignorance. NetMeter has options to monitor 'all' or
my network adapter only. Unforunately my PC is going cranky and I can't get
the options up. Time for a reboot.