Routing question

Old February 17th 05, 10:22 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
piltdown

Default Routing question

As you will see from the following I am bit new to this!

We have inherited a broadband package with 8 public IP addresses
(which we don't actually need). The telecoms company has stated that
the gateway router has to have an address of 81.137.26.94 and has
specified a subnet mask of 255.255.255.248. My question is, can PCs on
our LAN with IP addresses of 192.168.1.x, currently the subnet is
255.255.255.0 for each of the PCS, still access the Internet using
81.137.26.94 as the gateway? Do the subnet masks need to be altered?

Thanks

Old February 17th 05, 10:28 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
mikeFNB

set the router to anyone of the 8.
set it as dchp on
set all other pc's to get IP automatically.
off you go.

mike

news

Old February 21st 05, 09:05 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
piltdown

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 22:34:10 +0000, Kris wrote:

My question is, can PCs on
our LAN with IP addresses of 192.168.1.x, currently the subnet is
255.255.255.0 for each of the PCS, still access the Internet using
81.137.26.94 as the gateway? Do the subnet masks need to be altered?

I doubt it. I have a block of IPs, too, and I have a Draytek 2600G - it
can do NAT for 192.168.x.x PCs. It has a public IP and a private IP.

PCs with IPs of 192.blah have a gateway of 192.168.1.1 (the Draytek).
PCs with IPs of 81.blah (public ones) have a gateway of 81.5.175.blah
(also the Draytek).

In your experience is the Draytek 2600G relatively easy to set this going?
Or is very techie?

Thanks
Old February 24th 05, 11:01 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Hiccy

"piltdown" wrote in message
news
As you will see from the following I am bit new to this!

We have inherited a broadband package with 8 public IP addresses
(which we don't actually need). The telecoms company has stated that
the gateway router has to have an address of 81.137.26.94 and has
specified a subnet mask of 255.255.255.248. My question is, can PCs on
our LAN with IP addresses of 192.168.1.x, currently the subnet is
255.255.255.0 for each of the PCS, still access the Internet using
81.137.26.94 as the gateway? Do the subnet masks need to be altered?

Thanks

I've never setup a router with multiple public IP addresses, however I
think I'm right in saying that 81.137.26.94 is the external (public) IP
address of your router. Therefore, you would use the internal (private) IP
address of the router (192.168.1.1?) as the gateway address for your
machines. Your subnet mask for your PC's would then stay at 255.255.255.0.

You could (as has been pointed out already) use the DHCP server of your
router to configure your machines automatically, or you could do it
manually.