Laptop WiFi Problem. Wired NIC works - WiFi does not any ideas please?

Old April 3rd 05, 12:38 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
DeeBee

Default Laptop WiFi Problem. Wired NIC works - WiFi does not any ideas please?

Just had a mate on the phone and has the following problem.

His partneer has a nice new HP NC4000 and they have put a W400 Mini PCI WiFi
card into it.

He is using a BT Voyager 2000 modem router on TalTalk

He also has an old Tosh laptop with a 54g PCMCIA card in it and that works
fine in WiFi with the router so all appears well there.

The NC4000 can connect to the internet via the thernet port hard wired to
the router, but in WiFi mode it finds the SSID of the router and reports a
connection, but when connecting to the internet via IE it reports a DNS
error. It also cannot ping the router via WiFi.

At first we thought this was a problem with the W400 card as it was bought
used from eBay, but have also tried a USB WiFi stick and the 54g PCMCIA card
from his Tosh laptop, and all give the same symptoms.

So last night I talked him through fixing the DHCP range in the router to
192.168.1.100 - 255, router has IP 192.168.1.1.

Then fix the IP address of the WiFI connection inthe NC4000 to IP addy
192.168.1.10, subnet 255.255.255.0 gateway 192.168.1.1
Prefered DNS 192.168.1.1 Sec. DNS as 192.168.1.10

He has now done a clean install of XP Pro with SP2 and all of HPs updates,
and still has no WiFi access to the internet. Wired is still working. Wired
connection works with both fixed IP address of say 192.168.1.9 or obtain
automatically.

We also tried this yesterday on my home LAN with WiFi using his Tosh, my
N410C and the above NC4000, the other two laptops were OK but the NC4000
still refused to connect in IE. Thats is when the XP istalation seemed
flakey, and I suggested a reinstall, but still the problem remains

Any idea gfolks, this one has me baffled.

TIA

DeeBee

Old April 3rd 05, 01:37 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
DeeBee

"Kris" wrote in message
DeeBee writes:
[...]
The NC4000 can connect to the internet via the thernet port hard wired to
the router, but in WiFi mode it finds the SSID of the router and reports
connection, but when connecting to the internet via IE it reports a DNS
error. It also cannot ping the router via WiFi.

[...]

Maybe a WEP/WPA key hex/ascii conversion problem? Tried without
encryption?

Without wanting to sound flippant, because I am not a networking expert - I
don't think so - because he can get a connection on his Tosh Win98 laptop
using an Edimax 54g PCMCIA card and the Edimax client app. Using exactly the
same card and client app on the HP NC4000, no connection in IE.

Thanks for the first response anyway

Cheers

DeeBee

Old April 3rd 05, 02:24 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
NBT

DeeBee wrote:

Then fix the IP address of the WiFI connection inthe NC4000 to IP addy
192.168.1.10, subnet 255.255.255.0 gateway 192.168.1.1
Prefered DNS 192.168.1.1 Sec. DNS as 192.168.1.10

Why are you using router IP's as DNS addresses?
Why have you the same IP address for your wireless card as your stated
sec DNS address?

Old April 3rd 05, 02:27 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
tmcd35

"DeeBee" wrote

[...]

mmmm, strange one

Here's a couple of things to check

Is XP's firewall turned on? is there a third party firewall, have yo
checked the rule set.Ie, nobody's accidently told the firewall software not to allo
connections through the wifi adapter
Also, more likely, Has the router got MAC filtering enabled? If it a
then either disable or, preferably, add the wifi adapters MAC address t
the routers filter list
Finally, can the laptop see other machines on the network or is it al
dark via the wifi
If I think of anything else I'll report back

Terry McDonal
http://links.tmcd35.homeip.ne

Old April 3rd 05, 02:37 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
DeeBee

"tmcd35" wrote in message

"DeeBee" wrote:

[...]

Is XP's firewall turned on? is there a third party firewall, have you
checked the rule set.Ie, nobody's accidently told the firewall software
not to allow
connections through the wifi adapter?
Also, more likely, Has the router got MAC filtering enabled? If it as
then either disable or, preferably, add the wifi adapters MAC address to
the routers filter list.
Finally, can the laptop see other machines on the network or is it all
dark via the wifi?
If I think of anything else I'll report back.

Terry McDonald
http://links.tmcd35.homeip.net

Cheers Terry

I'll get him to check WinXP firewall is turned off.

Also running Sygate Personal Firewall, but he gets the same result with that
turned off. Also does not get the usual pop up when going into IE for the
first time via a particular connection.

MAC filtering is turned off at the moment.

Basically with SPF turned off the onboard wired NIC works and the WiFi does
not, even using three different adapters.

Tried both manually configured IP / gateway / DNS as above and also in full
auti on both wired and WiFi - same scenario, the onboard wired NIC works and
the WiFi does not

Thanks again

DeeBee

Old April 3rd 05, 02:53 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
tmcd35

"DeeBee" wrote

"tmcd35" wrote in message

"DeeBee" wrote:

[...]

Another thought ;

What software is controlling the wifi card? For simplist/best setu
make sure you have SP2 and allow XP's built in wifi software to control th
card instead of the manufacturer's software. I found this to b
especially important for belkin wigi products

Terry McDonal
http://links.tmcd35.homeip.ne

Old April 3rd 05, 05:53 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor Turton

In article , DeeBee
says...

We also tried this yesterday on my home LAN with WiFi using his Tosh, my
N410C and the above NC4000, the other two laptops were OK but the NC4000
still refused to connect in IE. Thats is when the XP istalation seemed
flakey, and I suggested a reinstall, but still the problem remains

Any idea gfolks, this one has me baffled.

Drivers...

--
Conor

Windows & Outlook/OE in particular, shipped with settings making them
as open to entry as a starlet in a porno. Steve B
Old April 3rd 05, 06:01 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
DeeBee

"Conor Turton" wrote in message
t...
In article , DeeBee
says...

We also tried this yesterday on my home LAN with WiFi using his Tosh, my
N410C and the above NC4000, the other two laptops were OK but the NC4000
still refused to connect in IE. Thats is when the XP istalation seemed
flakey, and I suggested a reinstall, but still the problem remains

Any idea gfolks, this one has me baffled.

Drivers...

--
Conor

Windows & Outlook/OE in particular, shipped with settings making them
as open to entry as a starlet in a porno. Steve B

Hi Conor

Drivers ....????

The HP W400 card...used both the driver that was on the HP NC4000 driver
disk and the latest one from HP's web site

The Edimax 54g PCMCIA card again using the latest driver and Client app from
Edimax. The exact same Edimax card works fine in my Compaq N410C and in my
mate old Tosh Tecra so not sure why you say drivers...unless you can
enlighten me further....

TIA

DeeBee