Should Netgear DG834G disable AV

Old May 5th 05, 08:35 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Pinot Grigio

Default Should Netgear DG834G disable AV

Just bought NetgearDG834G Firewall Router. I have NIS 2004 Pro.

Following the instructions, I have got as far as plugging it in and turning
on the pc.
When I boot up, NAV is disabled but NIS is ok.
Unplugging Netgear and plugging Speedtouch 330 back in, NAV is ok.
Is this normal on installation or is there more trouble ahead? Methinks
trouble as surely AV should be active to be scanning new software!

Old May 5th 05, 10:02 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jon

[email protected] declared for all the world to hear...
Just bought NetgearDG834G Firewall Router. I have NIS 2004 Pro.

Following the instructions, I have got as far as plugging it in and turning
on the pc.
When I boot up, NAV is disabled but NIS is ok.
Unplugging Netgear and plugging Speedtouch 330 back in, NAV is ok.
Is this normal on installation or is there more trouble ahead? Methinks
trouble as surely AV should be active to be scanning new software!

A router is not software. With the netgear plugged in have you open NAV
to see why it's been disabled and try re-enabling it?
--
Regards
Jon
Old May 5th 05, 10:46 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Pinot Grigio

"Jon" wrote in message
[email protected] declared for all the world to hear...
Just bought NetgearDG834G Firewall Router. I have NIS 2004 Pro.

Following the instructions, I have got as far as plugging it in and
turning
on the pc.
When I boot up, NAV is disabled but NIS is ok.
Unplugging Netgear and plugging Speedtouch 330 back in, NAV is ok.
Is this normal on installation or is there more trouble ahead? Methinks
trouble as surely AV should be active to be scanning new software!

A router is not software. With the netgear plugged in have you open NAV
to see why it's been disabled and try re-enabling it?
--
Regards
Jon

Yes. I get error message 40020517
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...build=STANDARD

It won't re-enable with Netgear plugged in, but enables itself with
Speedtouch plugged back on reboot. Seems strange to me.

Old May 5th 05, 03:54 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jon

[email protected] declared for all the world to hear...
A router is not software. With the netgear plugged in have you open NAV
to see why it's been disabled and try re-enabling it?

Yes. I get error message 40020517
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...build=STANDARD

It won't re-enable with Netgear plugged in, but enables itself with
Speedtouch plugged back on reboot. Seems strange to me.

Very strange indeed. I used a different netgear router and NAV 2004
without this problem for at least a year. I can't see how an ethernet
connection would interfere with NAV in any way.
--
Regards
Jon
Old May 5th 05, 05:02 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Pinot Grigio

"Paul D.Smith" wrote in message
t...
Is NAV trying to protect a non-existent network connection i.e. the
Speedtouch? You might want to try uninstalling and reinstalling NAT or
looking through the configuration to see if there is something that
"protects network connections" that can be disabled and then, with the
Netgear plugged in, re-enabled.

Paul DS

BTW, don't want to be too down here, but I ditched NAV because I found it
so
crap and the support so rubbish.

I have found in NIS Program Control:
SpeedTester.exe - Internet Access - Block All (Path C:\Program
Files\Broadband Speed Test\SpeedTester.exe
I can't imagine this is causing the problem. Where else can I look?

Can't find anything in NAV. I don't want to reinstall unless I really have
to.

I have been running NIS on a Pentium 4 for 18 months with very little
trouble. It is a definite no-no on a P2/Win 98 but on a P4 has been very
good except for initial teething problems. It seems to have done its job
ok.

Old May 6th 05, 08:42 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Paul D.Smith

I have found in NIS Program Control:
SpeedTester.exe - Internet Access - Block All (Path C:\Program
Files\Broadband Speed Test\SpeedTester.exe
I can't imagine this is causing the problem. Where else can I look?

Can't find anything in NAV. I don't want to reinstall unless I really

have
to.

I have been running NIS on a Pentium 4 for 18 months with very little
trouble. It is a definite no-no on a P2/Win 98 but on a P4 has been very
good except for initial teething problems. It seems to have done its job
ok.

I'm afraid your best bet is to pester Symmantec if you don't want to
reinstall. FWIW, I use ZoneAlarm as my PC firewall. It's not perfect but
does all I need and I'm fortunate to be able to use Sophos for anti-virus
through a corporate licence.

I found Symmantec less that helpful with problems that I had, even when (I'm
a software engineer) I told them _exactly_ what their product was doing
wrong. They never solved on problem (NAV causing OE to hang) meaning I had
to disable the "check e-mails on arrival" function. Since this was the main
reason for having NAV, I dropped it. The 4 days of arguing with them when I
tried to renew my subscription and they kept claiming I had an OEM copy
didn't help either!

Paul DS.

Old May 6th 05, 02:20 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Pinot Grigio

"Pinot Grigio" [email protected] wrote in message
Just bought NetgearDG834G Firewall Router. I have NIS 2004 Pro.

Following the instructions, I have got as far as plugging it in and
turning on the pc.
When I boot up, NAV is disabled but NIS is ok.
Unplugging Netgear and plugging Speedtouch 330 back in, NAV is ok.
Is this normal on installation or is there more trouble ahead? Methinks
trouble as surely AV should be active to be scanning new software!

I have phoned Netgear who suggested it was LiveUpdate that is the problem. I
changed that to a dial-up with no difference.

A couple of days ago I couldn't find anything on the Netgear site but now I
can !!??
http://kbserver.netgear.com/inquira/...90#__highlight

So there are conflicts?

The only thing the documentation that comes with the router says is to stop
anything connecting to the internet.

I currently have a very stable desktop running NIS 2004 PRO and a new laptop
that is hopefully stable with a 30 day free trial of McAfee AV & firewall.
Netgear say to disable Norton Firewall and uninstall/reinstall McAfee
without the firewall. I can't reinstall McAfee. I would really like to try
it out before uninstalling it.

The shop that sold me the router said I shouldn't rely only on the Netgear
Firewall.

All I want is a router. I have computer security already and don't want to
destabilize my systems. Is there a simple router out there that doesn't
upset my systems.

I now have computers, wires, plugs, boxes, documentation all over the
place...........AAARRRGGGHHH !!!!! and I haven't even opened the box with
my free printer (that I don't need) in it yet!