Computer is not accessible. You might not have permission...

Old May 6th 05, 12:47 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jonathan Eales

Default Computer is not accessible. You might not have permission...

I have just networked my two desktops and a laptop together with a router.
All the connections are fine and all computers can see each other in the
same workgroup.

However when I try to access one of the desktops I get the "\\name is not
accessible. You might not have permission..." from one and "Access is
denied" from the other.

From a little web research I've:

Disabled all firewalls.
Enabled Netbios over TCP/IP.
Enabled the Guest account.
Set NodeType to Hybrid.
Ping and computer names work fine.
Internet access works on all three computers.

The problem desktop run Windows XP Pro (SP2), as does the laptop. The other
user Windows 2000 Pro (SP3).

Shared folders work fine on the other desktop and laptop.

I suspect it might be something to do with network security. How do I set
it back to default in Windows XP?

Thanks,
Jonathan

Old May 6th 05, 01:38 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Paul D.Smith

Have you even managed to share the drive? I have a similar problem where I
can use a "net share" to create a drive mapping from NT to WinXP but when I
try to access anything on the WinXP drive, the NT box gets an Access-Denied
error.

If you find the solution before I do, please post! I've tried setting acess
permissions for the shared drive but this seems to have no affect. I even
tried changing the user ID in case the case of the username was at fault but
this didn't help either.

Paul DS.

Old May 6th 05, 01:40 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Paul D.Smith

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;304040 might be
useful. Looks like I either want level 4/5 access or to diable "simple"
since I know what I'm doing.

Help this helps and thanks for reminding me that I had not sorted this!
Paul DS

Old May 6th 05, 02:41 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jonathan Eales

No, there has never been any sharing at all. I just want to access the
Shared Documents folder and use the only (default) HP Laserjet 4 printer.
Yes, that is the error I get from the Windows 2000 box. I've cancelled and
reshared these an number of times already. Still no luck.

Simple File Sharing is a misnomer for Windows XP!

Jonathan

t...

Old May 6th 05, 02:51 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
NBT

Jonathan Eales wrote:
No, there has never been any sharing at all. I just want to access the
Shared Documents folder and use the only (default) HP Laserjet 4 printer.
Yes, that is the error I get from the Windows 2000 box. I've cancelled and
reshared these an number of times already. Still no luck.

Simple File Sharing is a misnomer for Windows XP!

Jonathan

..
8....................................
Have a read of http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/guidneth.htm and continue
with the next page.
Old May 6th 05, 03:16 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jonathan Eales

I don't understand this:

if you intend to access data on a
Windows 2000/XP system, then you
MUST make sure that the username
(and password) used during the Windows
95/98/ME/2000/XP start-up is identical to
the username (and password) defined in
User Management of the Windows 2000/XP
system, to which you like to connect.

I can logon to the laptop as 'Jonathan' and access the shared folders on the
Windows 2000 PC which does not have a 'Jonathan' account. Only
'Adminstrator' and' Julie'. And the other way around. I cannot access the
shared folders or printers from either of these computers onto the Windows
XP system which has David, Administrator and Guest as user accounts.

Does this above restriction apply only to 'domains' and not 'workgroups'?

Thanks,
Jonathan

.

Old May 6th 05, 04:16 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
NBT

Jonathan Eales wrote:
8.....................
Could you just clarify for me.

1.Laptop(a) XP PRO shares folders and printers with PC(b) W2k and vice-versa
2.PC(c) XP Pro cannot access a or b.
3.a or b cannot access c.
4.a,b and c all have shared folders and printers.
5.Can you confirm that the simple file sharing box in c is still ticked.
Old May 6th 05, 04:46 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jonathan Eales

1. Correct
2. PC(c) XP Pro CAN access a and b
3. Correct
4. a,b and c all have shared folders and c only has a printer
5. What box? I've run the Setup a home or small office Wizard and selected
file and printer sharing.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Old May 6th 05, 04:56 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
NBT

Jonathan Eales wrote:

5. What box? I've run the Setup a home or small office Wizard and selected
file and printer sharing.

My ComputerToolsFolder OptionsView
In the Advanced settings window there should be a box "Use simple File
Sharing".
Old May 6th 05, 05:34 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jonathan Eales

Yep, that is ticked. And the Windows Firewall (though it is disabled)
Exception for File sharing.