Trouble with Belkin - Please can someone help???

Old May 8th 05, 12:05 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
GB

Default Trouble with Belkin - Please can someone help???

I am having trouble installing a Belkin Pre-N wireless card.

Their telephone support is TOTALLY useless, and they are permanently engaged
now.

I have installed the wireless router ok. I have selected WPA security on the
router. When I come to set up the card on the remote machine, the only
security option I am being offered is WEP, even though the router is set up
under WPA. Needless to say, there is no throughput of data. The remote
machine is running a fairly early version of Win XP Home - I was planning to
upgrade to SP2 once this machine is online. Does WPA require a later version
of Windows? Is there any other reason why this may be happening?

Thanks

Geoff

Old May 8th 05, 12:20 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
NBT

http://tinyurl.com/65hh5
Old May 8th 05, 03:51 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
GB

"NBT" wrote in message

http://tinyurl.com/65hh5

Thank you
Thank you
Thank you
Thank you
Thank you
Thank you
Thank you
Thank you
Thank you
Thank you

I really cannot thank you enough for this very helpful link. Worked
perfectly!

No mention this as even a possibility in the Belkin manual, of course.
Hmmmmm

Geoff

Old May 8th 05, 05:49 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
poster

On Sun, 8 May 2005 15:51:56 +0100, "GB" wrote:

"NBT" wrote in message

http://tinyurl.com/65hh5

I really cannot thank you enough for this very helpful link. Worked
perfectly!

a) thanks for snipping... hate a one-liner response made a bit worse
when there's a URL with no explanation of what it links to...

b) what is at the end of that URL ? Something extraordinary about
the Belkin unit, I guess, but quoting it (or a precis of it) in
a posting would mean others looking for a similar solution may
find the description using Google, while the URL might no longer
work in a couple of years...

Old May 8th 05, 08:14 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Phil Thompson

On Sun, 08 May 2005 17:49:26 +0100, poster
wrote:

what is at the end of that URL ?

some Microsoft XP download for WPA (wireless protected access)

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !
Old May 9th 05, 10:41 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
poster

On 08 May 2005 20:14, Phil Thompson wrote:

some Microsoft XP download for WPA (wireless protected access)

Ta! I'm glad I don't use wireless with these additional probs :-)
Old May 9th 05, 01:49 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
GB

. 88...

"NBT" wrote in message

http://tinyurl.com/65hh5

I really cannot thank you enough for this very helpful link. Worked
perfectly!

a) thanks for snipping... hate a one-liner response made a bit worse
when there's a URL with no explanation of what it links to...

b) what is at the end of that URL ? Something extraordinary about
the Belkin unit, I guess, but quoting it (or a precis of it) in
a posting would mean others looking for a similar solution may
find the description using Google, while the URL might no longer
work in a couple of years...

What i did not know is that Win XP shipped without WPA support. This PC was
not connected to internet, so did not have any service patches applied. The
above is patch for installing wpa support.

OK - job done