How to set up VPN with 3COM Router?

Old May 8th 05, 04:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,uk.comp.home-networking
BJH

Default How to set up VPN with 3COM Router?

Hi

I'm going to have a go at setting up VPN at my Office where I've got a
Windows XP machine connected to a 3COM ADSL Wireless Router.

I've asked my ISP to allocate a block of 4 IP addresses and I've had a look
at "Windows XP Inside Out" by Ed Bott which has a chapter devoted to
allowing remote access via a Virtual Private Network.

I can see that I'll come unstuck setting up both the Router and maybe Zone
Alarm Firewall!

I've seen remarks about "VPN Passthrough" and a 3COM router but I haven't
been able to find anything specific to my 3COM router.

So if anyone has had any experience with a 3COM router and Zone Alarm
setting up VPN I'd really like to hear from you.

--
Best regards
Barry
Old May 10th 05, 08:33 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
BJH

On Tue, 10 May 2005 07:40:07 +0100, Jon wrote:

I'm delving into this myself, and I've come to the conclusion that it's
not that easy! On the router set IPSEC NAT-T pass-thru to ON.

I can't find this setting on my router.

I think you will also need to configure a virtual server in the router to
route incoming traffic on a certain port to your PCs LAN IP address, the
port in question being the one that XP remote assistance uses (I don't
know what this is yet).

The other way around it is to buy a VPN server.

OK does this sit between the LAN and the router?

Let us know how you get on.

Hmmm? I've been delving around the 3com web site and found that they say it
*is* possible, but not recommended! I guess this is because of local pc
security issues.

Once I get my router registered on the 3com support web site I'm going to
call them and see if they have any documents regarding VPN.

I'll keep you informed.

--
Regards
Barry
Old May 11th 05, 09:54 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
BJH

On Wed, 11 May 2005 07:17:20 +0100, Jon wrote:

Likewise. I'm already registered with 3Com support but haven't had the
time to do anything about it.

I've found a couple of simple (need to be) docs on the knowledgebase, "How
to configure VPN passthrough" and How to configure a PPTP server"

Seems fairly straightforward so I've ordered my block of fixed IP addresses
from my ISP.

--
Regards
Barry