XP and 2000 Networking Problem

Old May 10th 05, 10:53 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Kwaj

Default XP and 2000 Networking Problem

I am trying to get the computers in my home network to coommunicate. My
Win98 and Win2000 machines are communicating and exchange files but neither
of them can see my WinXP machine. My WinXP machine can't see any of the
other machines either.

I have tried to ensure that all three machines have the same collection of
drivers and have also ensure that they all belong to the same group,
'Mshome' group. However despite that they don't communicate.

Any ideas? My Win XP machine is wireless whereas the other two are cable
based. Would that make a difference? I have checked that they have the same
subnet mask - so I would assume they would be communicating....

Old May 11th 05, 08:01 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jonathan Eales

I've just had this myself and after many fruitless hours along with some
help from the members of this group, I was unable to achieve networking of
Windows XP and 2000 systems together. I've scheduled a complete software
reload for the Windows XP computer (which seems to be the culprit) this
weekend.

Best of luck in your endeavours.

I trust you have run the Home and small office networking wizard and
selected File and Print sharing. I appears if that does not work as it
should there is not much else you can do.

Jonathan

Old May 11th 05, 08:15 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Robin Grayson

On Wed, 11 May 2005 07:53:56 +1000, "Kwaj"
wrote:

I am trying to get the computers in my home network to coommunicate. My
Win98 and Win2000 machines are communicating and exchange files but neither
of them can see my WinXP machine. My WinXP machine can't see any of the
other machines either.

I have tried to ensure that all three machines have the same collection of
drivers and have also ensure that they all belong to the same group,
'Mshome' group. However despite that they don't communicate.

Any ideas? My Win XP machine is wireless whereas the other two are cable
based. Would that make a difference? I have checked that they have the same
subnet mask - so I would assume they would be communicating....

Does you windows XP machine have SP2 applied, and if so, is the
firewall turned on?

Open the control panel and go into 'Windows Firewall' if you have it,
that will tell you the status (on/off)