Switch question

Old May 14th 05, 01:49 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Andrew Hodgson

Default Switch question

Hi,

I got a cheap switch from a fair a while back - cheap because the
outer casing is a bit damaged, but it is in a cupboard so who cares?
Anyway, this switch is a 24 port switch, and has two fans on it, which
are a bit noisy to be onist. My main question is does such a switch
use more power than say a 12 port switch with no fans? I am never
going to use all 24 ports.

Thanks.
Andrew.
My Email: use andrew at hodgsonfamily dot org.
Old May 14th 05, 02:25 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Clint Sharp

In message , Andrew Hodgson
writes
Hi,

I got a cheap switch from a fair a while back - cheap because the
outer casing is a bit damaged, but it is in a cupboard so who cares?
Anyway, this switch is a 24 port switch, and has two fans on it, which
are a bit noisy to be onist. My main question is does such a switch
use more power than say a 12 port switch with no fans? I am never
going to use all 24 ports.

Thanks.
Andrew.

It's in a cupboard, so who cares?

Seriously, you'll probably find that if it's got an internal PSU then it
will get nice and toasty warm without the fans, I'd consider fitting
some quieter fans or, if it's not getting warm to the touch, reducing
the voltage to the existing ones a touch.
--
Clint Sharp
Old May 14th 05, 09:03 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
John Steele

"Clint Sharp" wrote in message
[...]

It would probably be cheaper to buy a new 4 port switch from DABS or Ebuyer
that to buy new fans. Cost about 10-12 (plus postage). There are no fans

John Steele.

Old May 15th 05, 07:19 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
nog

On Sat, 14 May 2005 21:28:22 +0100, MW0GUV wrote:

-----------------8
And what is 'onist'

An abbreviation of onanist?
Old May 15th 05, 01:05 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Andrew Hodgson

On Sat, 14 May 2005 14:25:53 +0100, Clint Sharp
wrote:

In message , Andrew Hodgson
writes
Hi,

I got a cheap switch from a fair a while back - cheap because the
outer casing is a bit damaged, but it is in a cupboard so who cares?
Anyway, this switch is a 24 port switch, and has two fans on it, which
are a bit noisy to be onist. My main question is does such a switch
use more power than say a 12 port switch with no fans? I am never
going to use all 24 ports.

Thanks.
Andrew.

It's in a cupboard, so who cares?

I have some other equipment in there that gets more warm - even though
the back is off I have to keep the door ajar which keeps the noise up.
Anyway, my main concern is the amount of electricity which is possibly
being used relative to a smaller hub (I would probably need 8-12

Old May 15th 05, 01:23 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
poster

On 15 May 2005 13:05, Andrew Hodgson wrote:

.. I have to keep the door ajar which keeps the noise up.

Yes, whereas in some office environment with traffic noise, etc, there
is usually sufficient going on to not notice the noise. However, when
I've been in on a weekend, the amount of noise in one office (with NAS
boxes, and a few servers) is very noticeable... fortunately reason to
be there is because of moving them, so we can switch them off for that
and finally notice noise from the 24-port gear in the rack...

... amount of electricity which is possibly being used relative to
a smaller hub (I would probably need 8-12 ports).

I have 3Com 8-port and 16-port OfficeConnect units, which have no fans
while there are a number of 6 / 8 / 12 / 24 rack-mount units which do
(yes, even the smallest, perhaps to ensure that there's not going to
be a heat build-up if it is in a closed-front rack in a warm machine
room, as might have been typical in the past).

On the power aspect, you'll likely find the internal PSU will need the
fans as well as the rest of the unit, so get some 12+ port unit (to
cope with future needs) and flog yours on Ebay, perhaps :-) Peter.

--
Plus.Net http://tinyurl.com/5jpa4
I recommend them and save some cash.

Old May 15th 05, 06:30 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
John Steele

wrote:

[...]

I still recommend the DABS switch or one like it. This model
http://www.dabs.com/uk/channels/hard...quicklinx=2J7V
is the 8 port version.

It is small enough to be fitted anywhere and I have used 6 of these (each
supporting up to 8 local devices under a desk) feeding into one central unit
which fed the servers. I have mine fitted vertically under my desk using the
keyhole slots in the base. They are totally silent. They are barely warm to
the touch but I have not measured the power consumption. The hottest
component is the plug top power supply which is no hotter than a mobile
phone charger plug top supply. The ones I have used are actually made by
EDIMAX Model ES-3108P (no they do not give the power consumption on their
site either). I leave mine on all the time.
http://www.edimax.nl/html/english/products/ES-31xxP.htm

John Steele