Routing

Old May 14th 05, 06:11 PM posted to ntl.discussion.home-networking,uk.comp.home-networking
Alan Walker

Default Routing

Hi,

I have a mobo with two ethernet ports and a wireless card.

I want to route most traffic for my internal network via one ethernet, all
external traffic via the other ethernet and one particular connection via
wireless.

I remember long ago doing this using Vi to edit the routing tables on Unix
boxes but I'm sure there's a nice shiny gui toy to do the hard work for me
now I'm old and my mind is fading. Could anybody point me in the right
direction please ? Google keeps trying to sell me routers

--
Alan

(viciously spam-filtered)

Old May 15th 05, 09:59 AM posted to ntl.discussion.home-networking,uk.comp.home-networking
Eric

Alan Walker wrote:
I have a mobo with two ethernet ports and a wireless card.

I want to route most traffic for my internal network via one ethernet, all
external traffic via the other ethernet and one particular connection via
wireless.

I remember long ago doing this using Vi to edit the routing tables on Unix
boxes but I'm sure there's a nice shiny gui toy to do the hard work for
me
now I'm old and my mind is fading. Could anybody point me in the right
direction please ? Google keeps trying to sell me routers

a) Why bother, let your LAN do it for you.

b) setup the routing tables. In a Linux box you might expect to find:
/etc/route.conf:
192.168.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 eth0
192.168.1.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 eth1
default 192.168.1.1 0.0.0.0 eth2

However you can edit this manually or via the setup tool for your distro.

Eric
Old May 15th 05, 01:08 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Peter Morgan

On 15 May 2005 08:59 GMT, Eric wrote:

b) setup the routing tables. In a Linux box you might expect to find:
/etc/route.conf:
192.168.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 eth0
192.168.1.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 eth1
default 192.168.1.1 0.0.0.0 eth2

While purists are critical, I find 10.0.0.xx faster to type, and remember!

However you can edit this manually or via the setup tool for your distro.

I suspect that that was all the hint which was needed - a pointer to where
the routing tables could likely be found, and similar exists on Windows of
course, just that the needs of many don't include tampering with them, and
maybe just as well, since there's no shiny GUI tool to do it anyway :-)