Actiontec causing interference with phone

Old May 14th 05, 09:09 PM posted to alt.internet.wireless,uk.comp.home-networking
juneappal

Default Actiontec causing interference with phone

My actiontec wireless router (802.11g, wt701-g, supplied by qwest with
dsl service) is causing interference in my phone. It is worst in my
wireless phone (900Mhz, Uniden) - With that phone it is sometime very
hard to hear.

However - I also have an old-school rotary dial phone (baby blue, made
by bell-labs in the late 70's) The actiontect causes interference on
this phone /even if it isn't plugged in!/ If I disconect it completely
from the wall and just hold it within a few feet of the router, I can
hear a hum and buzz.

Is this normal behavior, or a poor quality router or a faulty unit?

Thanks,

Adam

Old May 15th 05, 12:30 AM posted to alt.internet.wireless,uk.comp.home-networking
Mark McIntyre

On 14 May 2005 12:09:33 -0700, in alt.internet.wireless , "juneappal"
wrote:

However - I also have an old-school rotary dial phone (baby blue, made
by bell-labs in the late 70's) The actiontect causes interference on
this phone /even if it isn't plugged in!/ If I disconect it completely
from the wall and just hold it within a few feet of the router, I can
hear a hum and buzz.

this will be a poorly shielded power supply / transformer probably.

Is this normal behavior, or a poor quality router or a faulty unit?

Neither of my routers, actiontec and 3com, interferes with anything.
--
Mark McIntyre
CLC FAQ http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html

Old May 15th 05, 01:00 AM posted to alt.internet.wireless,uk.comp.home-networking
fredbloggstwo

"juneappal" wrote in message
oups.com...
My actiontec wireless router (802.11g, wt701-g, supplied by qwest with
dsl service) is causing interference in my phone. It is worst in my
wireless phone (900Mhz, Uniden) - With that phone it is sometime very
hard to hear.

However - I also have an old-school rotary dial phone (baby blue, made
by bell-labs in the late 70's) The actiontect causes interference on
this phone /even if it isn't plugged in!/ If I disconect it completely
from the wall and just hold it within a few feet of the router, I can
hear a hum and buzz.

Is this normal behavior, or a poor quality router or a faulty unit?

Thanks,

Adam

Hi Adam, have you tried disabling the wireless section of the Actiontec and
seeing if that makes any difference. If not, then as Mark suggests, it
sounds like you have a faulty unit and should ring up your ISP's helpline.
Cheers, Mike

Old May 15th 05, 01:16 AM posted to alt.internet.wireless,uk.comp.home-networking
Ed

My actiontec wireless router (802.11g, wt701-g, supplied by qwest with
dsl service) is causing interference in my phone. It is worst in my
wireless phone (900Mhz, Uniden) - With that phone it is sometime very
hard to hear.

However - I also have an old-school rotary dial phone (baby blue, made
by bell-labs in the late 70's) The actiontect causes interference on
this phone /even if it isn't plugged in!/ If I disconect it completely
from the wall and just hold it within a few feet of the router, I can
hear a hum and buzz.

Is this normal behavior, or a poor quality router or a faulty unit?

I can't really say, but my QWest provided Actiontec WT701-G unit caused
no problem at all to my old Uniden 900MHz phone unit, nor any other
phones.

I assume you have the proper filters installed on all your used phone
line outlets? Could be a defective filter on the jack that feeds your
Uniden, maybe?

Ed