wireless network setup help please

Old May 15th 05, 10:55 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mark Wood

Default wireless network setup help please

I am having problems setting up a wireless network, I have a BT Voyager 2100
wireless ADSL router, a sony vaio laptop (wireless enabled) which runs
windows xp home and a desktop pc running windsows xp proffesional into which
i have just fitted a bt voyager 1040 pci wireless adaptor.
both laptop and pc will access the internet via the router but i cannot seem
to get them to find one another. i have run the network set up wizard on
both machines and have set file sharing on both. i ahve set the same
workgroup name on each but give each on a different computer description and
computer name, i also said on the wizaerd that both machines connect to the
internet through a residential gateway which i think is right.
some help would be very much appreciated as i am not a computer wizard (i
mend boilers !!!)
many thanks
mark

Old May 15th 05, 11:27 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mark Wood

how do i know the network is working, on either machine all i can do is use
the broadband internet, i cannot find the desktop from the laptop or visa
versa, neither can i find the printer connected to the desktop. let alone
find any shared files on either machine.

"Jon" wrote in message
declared for all the world to hear...
[...]

Running the wizard was the mistake. To share folders on a network which
is clearly already working you just right-click the folder or drive and
click sharing...
--
Regards
Jon

Old May 15th 05, 03:48 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article , Mark
Wood says...
how do i know the network is working, on either machine all i can do is use
the broadband internet, i cannot find the desktop from the laptop or visa
versa, neither can i find the printer connected to the desktop. let alone
find any shared files on either machine.

You have of course been into Control Panel, Windows Firewall,
Exceptions and ticked the File and Printer Sharing box?

--
Conor

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." O.Osbourne.
Old May 15th 05, 09:37 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Phil Thompson

On Sun, 15 May 2005 10:27:06 +0000 (UTC), "Mark Wood"
wrote:

how do i know the network is working, on either machine all i can do is use
the broadband internet, i cannot find the desktop from the laptop or visa
versa, neither can i find the printer connected to the desktop. let alone
find any shared files on either machine.

some or all of the following are usually necessary (no particular
order) :-

1. Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP on the relevant network connection. This
is on the WINS tab of Advanced properties of TCP/IP on the relevant
connection.
2. Turn off the firewalls (inc the XP one) that may block networking
3. Share a file / folder and a printer on each machine
4. Check they have the same Workgroup name and different machine names
(properties/computer name tab my right mousing "My Computer"). Use all
capitals if you have any non-XP machines
5. Either enable Guest access on every machine, or ensure there is an
identically named user with identical password (not blank) on each
machine, so that a remote user will be given access to the shares.
Again using CAPITALS is advisable if any pre-XP machines are involved.
6. Ensure "File and Printer sharing for Microsoft Networks" and
"Client for Microsoft Networks" are both present on each of the
relevant Network Connections.

As a connectivity check ping one machine from the other so you know
TCP/IP is working. Put 'cmd' in the Run box of Start then 'ping
192.168.0.5' changing the IP address to match.

HTH

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !