buying a wireless access point in the usa for the uk

Old May 15th 05, 09:49 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jack

Default buying a wireless access point in the usa for the uk

Hi

I will be visiting the US to do some PC shopping

I'd like to buy a wireless router. It seems like netgear seem to have
the same models as the US like the WGR614, linksys don't seem to offer
the BEFSR41 on their US site.

My home connection is DSL (512) using an Alcatel speedtouch 330 modem.
Currently the modem has one cable which connects to phone line (rj45)
and one USB (1.1) output to the PC.

Does anyone know which router would be appropriate or if I need to buy
a new DSL modem in the US (or UK) to use with a router. I ask this
because the routers I've seen look for a 'ethernet' connection from the
dsl modem.

Thanks in advance
Jack

Old May 15th 05, 10:42 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
poster

On 15 May 2005 13:49 -0700, "Jack" wrote:

Does anyone know which router would be appropriate or if I need to buy
a new DSL modem in the US (or UK) to use with a router. I ask this
because the routers I've seen look for a 'ethernet' connection from the
dsl modem.

Without wishing to sound overly negative, I think a combined unit is a much
better solution - you could have firm A blaming firm B if you ever have any
problems with them working together! There are a few ADSL modems which do
offer an ethernet connection, but perhaps not worth the extra cash, and if
you buy a combined unit, you can later sell your current unit (or, keep it
as a spare, just in case you need to lend it to a friend to help them check
their line/ADSL service, or in case you have a problem with your unit).

I've helped set up some friends with their home ADSL connections, in one
case switching from an existing router to a wireless unit and they aren't
difficult, but do be sure to have a cable, in case you 'lock out' all the
wireless connections. The two units I helped with were (a) Belkin F5D7630
(from memory, seems a long time ago now!) - no longer a current model and
(b) a Linksys WAG54G. They both set up fine. The Belkin is being used
with a couple of USB wireless adaptors, one for an old laptop downstairs
and another with a Win 98SE system in a bedroom. With the Linksys, the
chap had one USB adaptor (for an older family PC) and a card for a laptop.

With the Belkin, all the kit went into use in a half hour or so. With the
Linksys, the software for both the USB and pc-card adaptors did not load
as described, but I got them working anyway (they suggested they would
do an autostart and give options for loading, but when used, neither
item actually ran as described, 'bombing out' as soon as the flash
screen loaded, without any visible error messages or reason for it
that I could see. Plenty of people comment on using Netgear, though
they do seem to have a surprisingly large number of firmware updates if
compared with some of the other kit. Hence the suggestion to consider
reviews on ADSLguide (nearly everything I saw supports wireless now!)
and perhaps check uk.telecom.broadband too. Good luck... Peter M.
Old May 16th 05, 10:15 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jack

Thanks to both of you. I will definately buy a combined unit as you
suggest. And probably do so in the UK for power (& perhaps) warranty
considerations. Seems like a much smarter move than buying seperate
boxes that may or may not work together.

Much appreciated
Jack