Remote desktop connection

Old May 16th 05, 04:26 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Capt John

Default Remote desktop connection

I have a part wired and part wireless LAN setup 'ad-hoc' with some PC's
running XP Pro and some running XP Home.

Where can I find setup instructions to access one pc from another using the
Remote Desktop Connection. Is this even possible.

Many thanks.

Old May 16th 05, 05:44 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Michael Salem

Capt John wrote:

Where can I find setup instructions to access one pc from another using the
Remote Desktop Connection. Is this even possible.

You can use the free, open-source, VNC (Virtual Network Connection) to
do what you want. For Windows in particular, the UltraVNC version has
advantages: it supports file transfer and chat. You can run VNC in host
mode on just about any computer+OpSys, and connect to it from any
computer+OpSys running the VNC viewer; you can also connect using a Web
browser.

If anybody has any opinions on whether RDC or (Ultra)VNC is preferable
I'd be interested to hear.

Best wishes,
--
michael Salem
Old May 16th 05, 06:24 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
John D

Thanks Micheal.

I'll look into that.

John

Old May 16th 05, 08:26 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
poster

On 16 May 2005 17:44, Michael Salem wrote:

and connect to it from any computer+OpSys running the VNC viewer;
you can also connect using a Web browser.

* firewalls permitting * I'd suggest allowing access from only local
addresses and from static IPs (if at all possible) to, for example, let
you connect from your office / holiday home but not allow every hacker a
chance at connecting using VNC to systems on your network :-) Peter M.

30 day free trial... http://web.vfm-deals.com/runbox/
Old May 16th 05, 08:26 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Treeherder

Michael Salem wrote in
:

If anybody has any opinions on whether RDC or (Ultra)VNC is preferable
I'd be interested to hear.

IME, RDC gives a more realistic representation of the host. For
example, the Windows key, ALT+TAB, etc. work perfectly in RDC but can have
strange effects in VNC. I've found the VNC programs excellent, but not
quite as 'native' as RDC.

--
treeherder.co.uk (marcus)

Any reference to trees or their herding is purely coincidental.
Old May 16th 05, 11:41 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
John Steele

Capt John wrote:

Where can I find setup instructions to access one pc from another using
the
Remote Desktop Connection. Is this even possible.

As far as I recall Remote Desktop connection only works with XP Pro. It is
not supported by XP Home. It may be feasible to make the connection from XP
Home to XP Pro but not the other way round. I don't have the time to try it
tonight.

VNC will work with any permutation.

I use Remote Desktop on a Daily basis from a laptop to a desktop but both
are XP Pro. I have also used Real VNC but the performance is rather better
with RDC over a LAN.

John Steele

Old May 17th 05, 02:04 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Pauluch

On Mon, 16 May 2005 23:41:57 +0100, "John Steele"
wrote:

"Michael Salem" wrote in message
k...
Capt John wrote:

Where can I find setup instructions to access one pc from another using
the
Remote Desktop Connection. Is this even possible.

As far as I recall Remote Desktop connection only works with XP Pro. It is
not supported by XP Home. It may be feasible to make the connection from XP
Home to XP Pro but not the other way round. I don't have the time to try it
tonight.

XP Home comes with the client side part of the Remote Desktop program,
but only XP Pro comes with the full Server side program.

This means u can connect to an XP Pro machine from either XP Home or
XP Pro, but you cant connect TO an XP Home machine using Remote
Desktop.

Old May 17th 05, 11:08 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Michael Salem

and connect to it from any computer+OpSys running the VNC viewer;
you can also connect using a Web browser.

* firewalls permitting * I'd suggest allowing access from only local
addresses and from static IPs (if at all possible) to, for example, let
you connect from your office / holiday home but not allow every hacker a
chance at connecting using VNC to systems on your network :-) Peter M.

Security is always an issue. For use within a local area network, anyone
running VNC viewer, or even a web browser, can connect to a VNC server
if they know the server machine's address and the password, in the same
way as anyone can log into most networks with username and password.

For connections from outside of the network I always use a Virtual
Private Network, which is reasonably secure. If using a router with VPN
support (eg., the Draytek Vigor range) on the server site, then it is
not necessary to change router firewall settings. SSH should also be OK.

For direct connection across the Internet, the server is as secure as
its password. Don't use a password that can be found in any list to foil
dictionary attacks. However well-chosem, passwords are sent across the
Internet in plaintext (not encrypted) form, and can in principle be
intercepted by an attacker.

It's a big topic -- you could write a book about it.

Best wishes,
--
Michael Salem
Old May 17th 05, 11:15 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
John Fryatt

Capt John wrote:
I have a part wired and part wireless LAN setup 'ad-hoc' with some PC's
running XP Pro and some running XP Home.

Where can I find setup instructions to access one pc from another using the
Remote Desktop Connection. Is this even possible.

Many thanks.

Select Help and Support from the XP Start menu and then Search on
'Remote Desktop'.
Only XP Pro allows for incoming connections. You can access an XP Pro
system from an XP Home system though, and indeed from Windows 98 (and
older, 95 maybe?) by downloading some client software from Microsoft.

I found Remote Desktop more 'integrated' than VNC. Hard to put a finger
on a specific point though, and VNC does a good job. The other thing is
that VNC is available for other OS's so is more universal. I have used
TightVNC, which worked well.

John
Old May 17th 05, 11:23 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Pauluhn

On Tue, 17 May 2005 11:08:59 +0100, Michael Salem
wrote:

For direct connection across the Internet, the server is as secure as
its password. Don't use a password that can be found in any list to foil
dictionary attacks. However well-chosem, passwords are sent across the
Internet in plaintext (not encrypted) form, and can in principle be
intercepted by an attacker.

I'm sure I read on another Usenet group that Windows Remote Desktop
uses 128 bit encryption similar to VPN for the connection, AND that it
establishes the encryption before the password is sent to the host
machine.

Is this really not true then?