cannot renew ip address problem help!

Old May 18th 05, 02:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,uk.comp.home-networking
Feronni

Default cannot renew ip address problem help!

Hi

I have two PC's at home (in the UK) both running XP Pro and both with
network cards installed (to share broadband connection) going into an Origo
ADSL Router ( broadband ISP is Wannadoo)

Everything has been fine until the other day when one computer stopped
getting Internet access and I got the :

I clicked Repair, but that failed, saying

Connection Status. Limited or no Connectivity. You might not
be able to acces the internet or some network resources. The problem
occurred because the network did not assign a network address to the
computer."
I clicked Repair, but that failed, saying
"Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following
action cannot be completed : Renewing your IP address

I had a spare NIC card lying around and installed this thinking that it was
a hardware fault but still got same response.

and creating an ipcofig logfile gave this response and it seems that windows
was assigning its own defalut address to the card

logfile at end of post

there was also some stuff about Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling
Pseudo-Interface ?? in logfile that wasn't there if i created a logfile on
PC that was working ok.

I had now decided that it wasn't the NIC card that was at fault and was
thinking about posting here for advice when I just thought I'd use the
System Restore in XP and rolled it back a few days. And much to my surprise
it worked and the network card connected to router and I had my broadband
back and everything's back to normal.

Can anyone tell me what had actually happened for this to happen in the
first place and maybe how I could have gone about sorting the problem
without using System Restore?

I had tried ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew to sort problem but that
didn't solve it?

Thanks

IPCONFIG.TXT

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : SiS 900-Based PCI Fast Ethernet
Adapter

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0B-6A-1D-65-14

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.241.254

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::20b:6aff:fe1d:6514%5

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1

fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1

fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 7:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast
Ethernet NIC

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-30-BD-B4-88-BC

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling
Pseudo-Interface

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::5445:5245:444f%4

NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Old May 18th 05, 03:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,uk.comp.home-networking
Doug Sherman [MVP]

Sounds like you unwittling installed the Windows XP Advanced Networking
Pack, and the restore point pre-dated it. See:

http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...A4/ANP_FAQ.htm

Doug Sherman
MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP