Convert a wired broadband router to wireless?

Old May 19th 05, 08:04 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mike Andrews

Default Convert a wired broadband router to wireless?

Hi
I have a 4-port ADSL router and it works fine attached to my home desktop PC
by a network cable.
My work laptop has just been upgraded and has built-in wireless capability
which I'd like to use at home.
Can I buy a cheap device to plug into one of the spare ports on the router
to create a wireless access point? If so, what do I need?
Apologies if this is a dumb question, and all help and suggestions
gratefully received.
Cheers
Mike

Old May 19th 05, 08:24 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Martin

Mike Andrews wrote:
Hi
I have a 4-port ADSL router and it works fine attached to my home
desktop PC by a network cable.
My work laptop has just been upgraded and has built-in wireless
capability which I'd like to use at home.
Can I buy a cheap device to plug into one of the spare ports on the
router to create a wireless access point? If so, what do I need?
Apologies if this is a dumb question, and all help and suggestions
gratefully received.
Cheers
Mike

No, it's not dumb at all. I went the very same route myself.

In my case, I bought a Linksys Wirelss-G Access point Model WAP54G and
plugged it into my router. Works a charm.

You could obviously but another, perhaps even cheaper model, but that will
do the job for you. I can access it from my Pocket PC from anywhere in the
house or garden.

Good Luck

Martin

Old May 19th 05, 08:24 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Martin Underwood

"Mike Andrews" wrote in message
Hi
I have a 4-port ADSL router and it works fine attached to my home desktop
PC
by a network cable.
My work laptop has just been upgraded and has built-in wireless capability
which I'd like to use at home.
Can I buy a cheap device to plug into one of the spare ports on the router
to create a wireless access point? If so, what do I need?
Apologies if this is a dumb question, and all help and suggestions
gratefully received.

Yes, you need a wireless access point. This has an Ethernet port and an
aerial. Make sure you get one that supports WPA encryption as well as WEP
encryption: WPA is far more secure than WEP. Also, you probably want a
Wireless-G (54 Mbps) rather then Wireless-B (11 Mbps) one - assuming your
laptop has a Wireless-G adaptor.

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/ (search for Access Point) has plenty
listed. Linksys WAP54G is probably a good one.

When you are siting it, keep it well away from any large metal objects (eg
filing cabinets) or tanks of water (eg header tank in loft) as these will
cause a wireless shadow where reception will be weak.