Netgear WG511 wireless adapter poor?

Old May 20th 05, 09:08 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Paul D.Smith

Default Netgear WG511 wireless adapter poor?

I've been having problems with the reliability of my wireless link between a
Netgear DG384G router and my portable which has a WG511. I've been using
WPA-PSK and found I needed a "short" passphrase (32 characters or less) for
it to work at all.

This is just an update to say that I've now been able to test between the
router and an Apple with an Airport wireless card and there were no such
issues. I therefore have to conclude that the WG511 is to blame.

Anyone else use WPA-PSK with a WG511 and seeing similar issues? Please note
this is a "v1" card i.e. is _NOT_ marked WG511v2! Both router and WG511 are
on latest official Netgear levels (i.e. latest from the Netgear website).

Cheers,
Paul DS.

--
Please remove the "x-" if replying to sender.

Old May 20th 05, 09:31 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Tiny Tim

"Paul D.Smith" wrote in message
t...
I've been having problems with the reliability of my wireless link between
Netgear DG384G router and my portable which has a WG511. I've been using
WPA-PSK and found I needed a "short" passphrase (32 characters or less)
for
it to work at all.

This is just an update to say that I've now been able to test between the
router and an Apple with an Airport wireless card and there were no such
issues. I therefore have to conclude that the WG511 is to blame.

Anyone else use WPA-PSK with a WG511 and seeing similar issues? Please
note
this is a "v1" card i.e. is _NOT_ marked WG511v2! Both router and WG511
are
on latest official Netgear levels (i.e. latest from the Netgear website).

My WG511 (V1) will talk quite happily with my DG834G router using WPA-PSK
from 80' apart (router by front window, laptop at end of back garden)
through an internal wall and patio doors. I use a 35 character alphanumeric
key.

I've also done a drive-by round my neighbourhood with Netstumbler running
and easily found wireless networks along the high street and other
residences. I don't think there is any problem with the performance of the
WG511.

Old May 20th 05, 09:42 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Tiny Tim

"Tiny Tim" wrote in message
[...]

Doh! Just realised that was not the point you were making. I've just
increased my key length to 47 and still no problem with the connection. They
key is now composed of alphanumerics and special characters. In fact, here
is my new key....

tH3qU1cKbR0wNf0XjUmP50V3rtH3l42Yd0G!"$%^&*()_+

Old May 20th 05, 09:59 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Tiny Tim

"Tiny Tim" wrote in message
"Tiny Tim" wrote in message
My WG511 (V1) will talk quite happily with my DG834G router using WPA-PSK
from 80' apart (router by front window, laptop at end of back garden)
through an internal wall and patio doors. I use a 35 character
alphanumeric key.

I've also done a drive-by round my neighbourhood with Netstumbler running
and easily found wireless networks along the high street and other
residences. I don't think there is any problem with the performance of
the WG511.

Doh! Just realised that was not the point you were making. I've just
increased my key length to 47 and still no problem with the connection.
They key is now composed of alphanumerics and special characters. In fact,
here is my new key....

tH3qU1cKbR0wNf0XjUmP50V3rtH3l42Yd0G!"$%^&*()_+

I might add that I have two laptops, each with WG511 (V1) cards and I've
just added the extra 12 chars to the other laptop. That's working fine too,
as is my girlfriend's Acer Ferrari with built-in Broadcom wireless.

Old May 20th 05, 10:24 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Tiny Tim

"Tiny Tim" wrote in message
"Tiny Tim" wrote in message
"Tiny Tim" wrote in message
[...]

OK, in the interests of science I have now bumped the key up to the full 63
chars using a further 16 mixed case alphanumerics. Both WG511 laptops are
working perfectly, as is the Ferrari.

Note I do not use the Netgear Wireless Client. I'm quite happy with Windows
own Wireless Zero Configuration.

Old May 23rd 05, 08:28 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Paul D.Smith

Tim,

Thanks for the information. What spec. portables are you using them on?
Mine is only an AMD Athlon 1GHz so I wonder whether the WG511 might be
relying on the PC processor a little which might be why mine has problems
much beyond a 32 character passphrase.

Thanks for trying the tests. Very good of you!
Paul DS.

Old May 23rd 05, 11:04 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Tiny Tim

"Paul D.Smith" wrote in message
t...
Tim,

Thanks for the information. What spec. portables are you using them on?
Mine is only an AMD Athlon 1GHz so I wonder whether the WG511 might be
relying on the PC processor a little which might be why mine has problems
much beyond a 32 character passphrase.

Thanks for trying the tests. Very good of you!
Paul DS.

One laptop is a Dell Inspiron 7000 bought in 1998 with a PII 300 processor,
384MB RAM, 4GB HDD and 8MB GFX.

The other is a Dell Inspiron 8000 bought in 2001 with a PIII 900 processor,
512MB RAM, 60GB HDD and 32MB GFX.

Old May 25th 05, 08:42 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Paul D.Smith

Thanks for the info. Sounds like my 1GHz Athlon really ought to do better
than it does! I'll look elsewhere when I'm next playing with it (it's in
pieces at the moment as the back-light is flakey!).

Paul DS