Cant see MSHOME

Old May 20th 05, 06:25 PM posted to comp.os.ms-windows.networking,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.networking,uk.comp.home-networking
Karl

Default Cant see MSHOME

Hope some can help.

2 XP machines, no1 is connected to the internet and had ICS wizard run on it
so machine no2 can use the net.

no2 had ICS wizard run on it to connect to no1 to use the internet.

The above works fine, both machines can use the net.

The problem Im having is that although no2 can see shared folders and use
the printer from no1, no1 cant even see the workgroup MSHOME.

any pointers would be appreciated

Karl

Old May 20th 05, 08:46 PM posted to comp.os.ms-windows.networking,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.networking,uk.comp.home-networking
Phil Thompson

On Fri, 20 May 2005 16:25:58 +0000 (UTC), "Karl"
wrote:

any pointers would be appreciated

do both computers have the same workgroup name
do both computers have different computer names
have you shared a folder and/or printer at both ends

is NetBIOS over TCP/IP enabled on the WINS tab of Advanced properties
of TCP/IP in both cases

is Client for MS Networks and File and Printer Sharing for MS Networks
active on the relevant connections of each machine

do both have Guest access enabled, or accounts with the same username
and password combinations active.

are there any firewalls on either machine that could block netbios
traffic

HTH

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !
Old May 21st 05, 10:11 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
John Steele

"Karl" wrote in message
Hope some can help.

2 XP machines, no1 is connected to the internet and had ICS wizard run on
it
so machine no2 can use the net.

no2 had ICS wizard run on it to connect to no1 to use the internet.

The above works fine, both machines can use the net.

The problem Im having is that although no2 can see shared folders and use
the printer from no1, no1 cant even see the workgroup MSHOME.

any pointers would be appreciated

Karl

Do you use the Windows Firewall? If so then the problem I investigated
recently may match yours. This is enabled by default with Service Pack 2.
Some third party firewalls turn off the Windows Firewall and if you run any
of these then this fix does not apply.

The fix is a bit technical - if you don't understand then post again.

Go to the Windows Firewall via Control Panel/ Security Centre then select
Windows Firewall - this will bring up the Windows firewall dialog box.

Select the Exceptions tab. This will show a list of Programs and Services..
the one you want to select is File and printer Sharing. The box should be
ticked and select it. click the Edit button.

This should show four Services TCP 139, TCP 445, UDP 137, UDP 138.and this
is where it gets technical and will depend on how you have set up your local
network. Each network has a network in the for of 192.168.x.0 or possibly
168.x.x.x. You need to know what network address you a re using. If in doubt
post here. the way to find out is to run a CMD window (Start/ Run type in
cmd) and type ipconfig /all. If you can't interpret the results - post the
output and I am sure someone will help you.

Once you have identified your network then for each of the 4 items in the
window choose change scope. The My network (subnet) only is probably
selected. This is what we need to change to Custom List.

In the Text Box enter your subnet address as found through ipconfig (mine is
192.168.7.0) and your subnet mask which is almost certainly 255.255.255.0.
For my network I used 192.168.7.0/255.255.255.0 you will need to adapt this
for your own network..

There is no logical reason why this should work as what you are entering is
the My network (subnet only) parameters but it did for me. it took me a full
day with network diagnostic tools (Ethereal and the windows firewall log)
to understand what was going wrong. The windows firewall blocks a broadcast
message that should be picked up by the same computer. This cured the
problem for me although I am now using the free Kerio firewall which
disables the Windows firewall and eliminates the problem.

Good luck!

John Steele
www.soroban.co.uk

Old June 2nd 05, 01:10 PM posted to comp.os.ms-windows.networking,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.networking,uk.comp.home-networking
Alan White

Cut out the complications and buy a router. Eliminate ICS etc. Then run
the networking wizard in xp.
If you aren't into wireless, you can pick up a router for as little as $5.
Just saw a DLink B wireless router on sale for $39.95 with a $40 mail in
rebate.

Old June 6th 05, 01:35 PM posted to comp.os.ms-windows.networking,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.networking,uk.comp.home-networking
MeggaBitz

"Karl" wrote:
Hope some can help.

2 XP machines, no1 is connected to the internet and had ICS
wizard run on it
so machine no2 can use the net.

no2 had ICS wizard run on it to connect to no1 to use the
internet.

The above works fine, both machines can use the net.

The problem Im having is that although no2 can see shared
folders and use
the printer from no1, no1 cant even see the workgroup MSHOME.

any pointers would be appreciated

Karl

Double click on My Computer, go to Tools, Folder Options, click on the
VIEW tab, scroll to the last option, and uncheck "Use Simple File
Sharing".
Then go to pc no1 and click Start, Run, and type in \\IP ADDRESS of
No2\C$. that will allow you to access the admin share of the C
Drive. BUT your User name and Password must be on the other PC. they
must match.

SP2 Firewall must be turned off, VPN Drivers might have to be off
(Raptor VPN client is known for its built in firewall).

goog luck.

also, take a look at this MS KB article.

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/PC-Net...pict56178.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=284351