Help/Advice

Old May 20th 05, 08:11 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
40138

Default Help/Advice

Hi
Need some help/advice. I recently purchased a Belkin Hi-speed wireless
modem/router and pci card, models F5D7633Uk + F5D7001UK. Setup was a breeze
and wireless worked fine. Now to problem when using as wireless,my b/band
connection was very poor. The modem was placed about 2 metres away from the
pc which is under a desk on the floor. The pci card occupies the lowest pci
slot in tower. Within metre of the modem is the base station for my
cordless digital phone. I have now wired the modem much to disgust of wife
as wires are now trailing across floor again but the b/band connection is
the best it's ever been.
Questions are then is phone liable to interfere with wireless even
though its not being used and will a different aerial for pci card make a
difference. If so any recommendations on aerials.

Thx Alex

Old May 21st 05, 08:41 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Nig

40138 wrote:

Questions are then is phone liable to interfere with wireless even
though its not being used and will a different aerial for pci card make a
difference. If so any recommendations on aerials.

DECT phones run on the same frequency as Wi-fi so it could cause
interference, but I suspect then reason for your poor signal is that
your wireless card is at the back of your PC under a desk. Not really
very conducive to good signal strength:-(
Old May 21st 05, 10:28 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Phil Thompson

On Sat, 21 May 2005 07:41:16 GMT, Nig wrote:

DECT phones run on the same frequency as Wi-fi

no they don't.

You've been reading too much nonsense from US sites :-0

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !
Old May 21st 05, 07:18 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Nig

Phil Thompson wrote:

DECT phones run on the same frequency as Wi-fi

no they don't.

Ooops!

You've been reading too much nonsense from US sites :-0

Not sure about that, TBH, just thought it was common knowledge. Same
it's just wrong!
Old May 21st 05, 07:58 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Phil Thompson

On Sat, 21 May 2005 18:18:41 GMT, Nig wrote:

Not sure about that, TBH, just thought it was common knowledge. Same
it's just wrong!

US portable phones run in the same 2.4 GHz band, but aren't DECT.

Phil