monitoring broadband usage

Old May 20th 05, 09:55 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Captain Qwerty

Default monitoring broadband usage

I'm sure this topic has been discussed before - so i'm sorry if i'm covering
old ground... I have just set up a home network (2pcs, and a router/adsl
modem), and want to be able to see details of totals uploaded/downloaded.

Before i set up this network i used Netmeter to monitor my usage - my ISP
account is subject to a cap. Basically i want a piece of software that'll do
the same thing as netmeter but will cover 2 or more computers...

Any ideas?? - Simpler the better, and preferably share/freeware

Old May 21st 05, 08:37 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Nig

Captain Qwerty wrote:
I'm sure this topic has been discussed before - so i'm sorry if i'm covering
old ground... I have just set up a home network (2pcs, and a router/adsl
modem), and want to be able to see details of totals uploaded/downloaded.

Before i set up this network i used Netmeter to monitor my usage - my ISP
account is subject to a cap. Basically i want a piece of software that'll do
the same thing as netmeter but will cover 2 or more computers...

Any ideas?? - Simpler the better, and preferably share/freeware

The problem with the majority of software for this task is that they
only work for the PC it is running on. Does your router support SNMP? If
so, look at MRTG or PRTG.

I've written some info on this here, if you're interested:

http://www.networklab.co.uk/netmon.html
Old May 21st 05, 02:34 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Adam Piggott

Old May 21st 05, 03:40 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Bernard Peek

In message , Captain Qwerty
writes
I'm sure this topic has been discussed before - so i'm sorry if i'm covering
old ground... I have just set up a home network (2pcs, and a router/adsl
modem), and want to be able to see details of totals uploaded/downloaded.

Before i set up this network i used Netmeter to monitor my usage - my ISP
account is subject to a cap. Basically i want a piece of software that'll do
the same thing as netmeter but will cover 2 or more computers...

Where are you going to put the monitoring device? Most multi-port ADSL
routers use a switch rather than a hub. Each port of the switch will
only see its own traffic. You could replace the router with a PC running
something like IPCop or smoothwall, but it's overkill.

--
Bernard Peek
London, UK. DBA, Manager, Trainer & Author.

Old May 21st 05, 05:51 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Captain Qwerty

"Bernard Peek" wrote in message
In message , Captain Qwerty
writes
[...]

Thanks for the replies so far - very interesting... just to clarify...

I have 2 computers in the house (and possibly a networked ps2 or xbox in the
future). My ISP is wanadoo (yeah yeah... i know..) i have a 2gb cap on my
account per month, so all i want to get is a monthly figure of my total
up/download usage.

cheers

Old May 21st 05, 07:36 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Martin Underwood

"Captain Qwerty" wrote in message
"Bernard Peek" wrote in message
In message , Captain Qwerty
writes
I'm sure this topic has been discussed before - so i'm sorry if i'm
covering
old ground... I have just set up a home network (2pcs, and a router/adsl
modem), and want to be able to see details of totals uploaded/downloaded.

Before i set up this network i used Netmeter to monitor my usage - my ISP
account is subject to a cap. Basically i want a piece of software that'll
do
the same thing as netmeter but will cover 2 or more computers...

I have 2 computers in the house (and possibly a networked ps2 or xbox in
the future). My ISP is wanadoo (yeah yeah... i know..) i have a 2gb cap on
my account per month, so all i want to get is a monthly figure of my total
up/download usage.

I think your only option will be to look at the router's statistics (if
these are accessible from the router's web interface) and note the usage
each day. Probably best to record the figures each day rather than at the
end of each month because if the router crashes or disconnects during the
month, the stats may get reset back to zero again.

Monitoring traffic from any PC on the network to the router will only see
that PC's traffic and not the traffic from other PCs; also it will include
PC-to-PC traffic (eg local file/print access) which you don't want.

Some ISPs (eg Plusnet/Force9 who I use) actually mantain usage figures
themselves that you can monitor to see if you're approaching your limit.