Linksys Router Problem

Old May 21st 05, 05:20 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Andrew Sayers

Default Linksys Router Problem

Hi

I'm running a Linksys WAG54G ADSL Gateway. I'm having problems in that it will from
time to time lose connectivity - the ADSL light will go out suddenly during a
session, sometimes it will flash and reconnect, at other times it won't remake the
connection unless I reboot the router.

While it is running it is fast and reliable, but the connection loss is annoying.
I've flashed it with the latest firmware v1.02.7, although an older version seems to
be offered on the Linksys site. I've also tried swapping the filter on the router for
the one on anotrher phone, but it seems to make little difference.

I wonder whether the problems could be related to weather conditions, as is always
seems worse during heavy showers? This may just be co-incidental. It also seems to
occur more when my computer has been left on for some time.

I don't know whether to blame the router or my ISP.

Advice much appreciated
--
Andy Sayers - Lincolnshire, UK
If you'd like to reply to me, then please
Old May 21st 05, 08:05 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

On Sat, 21 May 2005 17:20:09 +0100, Andrew Sayers
wrote:

Hi

I'm running a Linksys WAG54G ADSL Gateway. I'm having problems in that it will from
time to time lose connectivity - the ADSL light will go out suddenly during a
session, sometimes it will flash and reconnect, at other times it won't remake the
connection unless I reboot the router.

I don't know whether to blame the router or my ISP.

My daughter has this device but it is not to hand for me to check the
lights.

Are you using the gateway for WiFi or wired connection; I am curious
if there is a difference.

Geoff Lane

Old May 21st 05, 08:18 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Andrew Sayers

wrote:

Hi

I'm running a Linksys WAG54G ADSL Gateway. I'm having problems in that it will from
time to time lose connectivity - the ADSL light will go out suddenly during a
session, sometimes it will flash and reconnect, at other times it won't remake the
connection unless I reboot the router.

I don't know whether to blame the router or my ISP.

My daughter has this device but it is not to hand for me to check the
lights.

Are you using the gateway for WiFi or wired connection; I am curious
if there is a difference.

Both - 2 machines wired in, and 3 on WiFi - 2 laptops and an Elonex Artisan
multimedia box under the TV

Old May 22nd 05, 01:08 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Christo

"Andrew Sayers" wrote in message
[...]

I have heard that linksys products have been a bit flakey in the fact they
will loose connectivity once in a while, the wireless devices that is, not
sure abut the wired alternatives etc.

Old May 22nd 05, 04:26 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

wrote:

I'm running a Linksys WAG54G ADSL Gateway. I'm having problems in that it will from
time to time lose connectivity - the ADSL light will go out suddenly during a
session, sometimes it will flash and reconnect, at other times it won't remake the
connection unless I reboot the router.

Are you using the gateway for WiFi or wired connection; I am curious
if there is a difference.

Both - 2 machines wired in, and 3 on WiFi - 2 laptops and an Elonex Artisan
multimedia box under the TV

So do you lose the internet connection on the entire network, WiFi and
wired.

I have found in the past that Linksys's email support is very good.

Geoff Lane

Old May 23rd 05, 06:22 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Andrew Sayers

wrote:

I'm running a Linksys WAG54G ADSL Gateway. I'm having problems in that it will from
time to time lose connectivity - the ADSL light will go out suddenly during a
session, sometimes it will flash and reconnect, at other times it won't remake the
connection unless I reboot the router.

Are you using the gateway for WiFi or wired connection; I am curious
if there is a difference.

Both - 2 machines wired in, and 3 on WiFi - 2 laptops and an Elonex Artisan
multimedia box under the TV

So do you lose the internet connection on the entire network, WiFi and
wired.

Oh, I see what you meant. I lost it on the entire network. I'm running the latest
firmware v1.02.9

While I was posting the original message the connection was dropping every couple of
minutes, which prompted me to post. ! Interestingly later that evening everything
settled down again and the connection stayed solid. The only thing that changed was
that it has stopped raining and the dark clouds and the odd rumble of thunder has
gone.

I know it sounds daft, but I'm wondering if the weather conditions had a bearing on
the situation - especially as I kept geting interference and loss of signal on the
digital signal to the TV around the same time.

I don't know though what might affect both a broadcast signal and an ADSL connection.
May it was just co-incidence.

I have found in the past that Linksys's email support is very good.

I emailed them a while back regarding the latest firmware version and got a
reasonable reply. I've heard some horror stories though about their telephone
support, though I've no personal experience with it.

Old May 23rd 05, 07:28 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

On Mon, 23 May 2005 18:22:11 +0100, Andrew Sayers
wrote:

I'm running a Linksys WAG54G ADSL Gateway. I'm having problems in that it will from
time to time lose connectivity -

So do you lose the internet connection on the entire network, WiFi and
wired.

Oh, I see what you meant. I lost it on the entire network. I'm running the latest
firmware v1.02.9

While I was posting the original message the connection was dropping every couple of
minutes, which prompted me to post. ! Interestingly later that evening everything
settled down again and the connection stayed solid. The only thing that changed was
that it has stopped raining and the dark clouds and the odd rumble of thunder has
gone.

Not sure about the weather but static could affect electrical
circuitry - this could be your end, the TV or ISP.

How many phone extensions have you got..
Have you tried the router on a different phone socket, normally
closest the main socket is best.

As you mention you lose everything it can't be the WiFi; these can be
flakey depending on many everyday items within the home.

Your main problem is that it could be your Router, your configuration,
your phone line or your ISP and each will blame each other.

Geoff Lane

Old May 23rd 05, 07:34 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
NBT

Andrew Sayers wrote:
8....................................

Oh, I see what you meant. I lost it on the entire network. I'm running the latest
firmware v1.02.9

Where did you obtain this as I can only find an AU version of this on
the download site and this gets very mixed reviews in the "Whirlpool
Forums".There is also a new Beta version v1.03.0b4 available if you join
Linksysinfo.org
http://www.linksysinfo.org/modules.p...nload&cid=6 2
At present I am sticking with 1.2.7.03.

While I was posting the original message the connection was dropping every couple of
minutes, which prompted me to post. ! Interestingly later that evening everything
settled down again and the connection stayed solid. The only thing that changed was
that it has stopped raining and the dark clouds and the odd rumble of thunder has
gone.

I know it sounds daft, but I'm wondering if the weather conditions had a bearing on
the situation - especially as I kept geting interference and loss of signal on the
digital signal to the TV around the same time.

Are your Telephone cables buried or overhead on Telephone poles,may be
an insulation problem.

Old May 28th 05, 03:52 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Andrew Sayers

NBT wrote:

Andrew Sayers wrote:
8....................................

Oh, I see what you meant. I lost it on the entire network. I'm running the latest
firmware v1.02.9

Where did you obtain this as I can only find an AU version of this on
the download site and this gets very mixed reviews in the "Whirlpool
Forums".There is also a new Beta version v1.03.0b4 available if you join
Linksysinfo.org
http://www.linksysinfo.org/modules.p...nload&cid=6 2
At present I am sticking with 1.2.7.03.

I downloaded it from the Linksys site - but it seemed to disappear from there.
According to the tech support guy it is the latest version, but I wonder why it's not
on the website.

Old May 28th 05, 03:54 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Andrew Sayers

NBT wrote:

Andrew Sayers wrote:

Are your Telephone cables buried or overhead on Telephone poles,may be
an insulation problem.

Overhead, so I suppose water could be getting in somewhere. Still puzzling about the
digital TV signal going flaky at the same time though.