I really haven't a clue! Router and internet gaming.

Old May 22nd 05, 01:36 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
-mike-

Default I really haven't a clue! Router and internet gaming.

I have just installed a router for use on my two home PCs, both running
Windows XP. The router is a wired Linksys BEFSR41 4-port router (
http://www.linksys.com/products/prod...id=29&prid=561 ).

After a bit of hair pulling I managed to get it working(ish), however being
a total network noob I am stuck trying to get some of my online games to
work, and the destruction manual doesn't seem to be any help to me.

Strange thing is, my sons PC upstairs which is connected to the router can
play online (Unreal Tournament) with no problems, but I can't seem to make
any connection at all. If I load up Unreal Tournament for instance and
select 'Find Internet Games' after 10 or 20 seconds I just get a 'cannot
connect to server' message.

I presume I have to configure access in the router Applications & Gaming
menu but talk of port ranges and IP addresses leave me cold. What's a port
range, and how do I find out what port range UT is using etc.

WHY does my sons PC work without any configurations?!

Also, it might just be me but since installing the router I have noticed
download speeds on certain P2P networks, and uploads (especially using FTP
to update my small site) seem to be a good deal slower, even when the 2nd PC
is turned off. I have a 2 meg broadband connection. Browsing seems "OK"
though sometimes the time taken to actually connect to a site/page seems
longer than it should be.

Any help/info would be appreciated. Also if there's anyone in the UK who
can talk me through what I'm doing wrong over the phone I'll be happy to
call you!

Mike.

Old May 22nd 05, 02:23 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Christo

"-mike-" wrote in message
[...]

you should look up port forwarding, try telnetting into the router and
gettin a list of commands from the net for your model of router, maybe
linksys use cisco commands since they are now owned by cisco, you can find
commands for cisco routers all over the net, you may need to setup specific
access lists. Check out port forwarding and you might want to read about DMZ

Old May 24th 05, 08:18 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
poster

On 21 May 2005 23:36 GMT, "-mike-" wrote:

I have just installed a router for use on my two home PCs, both running
Windows XP. The router is a wired Linksys BEFSR41 4-port router (
http://www.linksys.com/products/prod...id=29&prid=561 ).

WHY does my sons PC work without any configurations?!

Most likely, your son's PC is set to use DHCP and is getting all the info
direct from the router to set it up. You presumably had your PC plugged
into your cable unit prior to inserting the Linksys router, so is there
a difference in the network settings when comparing the two PCs...