Two questions please

Old May 22nd 05, 12:38 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Peter P

Default Two questions please

Any recommendations for 1mb unlimited broadband with 'free' evening and
weekend calls please?

Also for a modem/router which will give me wireless access and networking
to 4 outlets in the house.

My knowledge is very limited, so details of what I need and how to
connect it up would be particularly helpful if anyone has the time.

At the moment, there is a BT main point, a number of extensions, and 4
data outlet points. I would like to use 2 desktops in 2 of the outlet
points, and a laptop in a third (with wireless as an alternative - it may
not work too well because of the thickness of the walls).

Thanks for any help.
Old May 22nd 05, 03:39 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Phil Thompson

On Sun, 22 May 2005 12:38:42 +0100, Peter P
wrote:

Any recommendations for 1mb unlimited broadband with 'free' evening and
weekend calls please?

I would recommend you keep the two separate :-)
uk.telecom.broadband is the place for a bunfight about ISPs.

Also for a modem/router which will give me wireless access and networking
to 4 outlets in the house.

are these pre-wired outlets - not clear - in which case get a wireless
ADSL modem router with 4 ports (I'm assunming you want ADSL and are
not in a Telewest / NTL cable area)

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/ gives you a flavour.

If you have issues with walls it may pay to just get a wired router
then put a separate wireless access point at a wired point in an
optimum position for the laptop use.

At the moment, there is a BT main point, a number of extensions, and 4
data outlet points. I would like to use 2 desktops in 2 of the outlet
points, and a laptop in a third (with wireless as an alternative - it may
not work too well because of the thickness of the walls).

if these data outlet points are wired back to a common point then put
the router there. If that is convenient to the main BT telephone point
then fit it with a filtered faceplate (clarity.it adslnation.com etc)
and plug the router into the ADSL socket and all the extensions are
then filtered.

Otherwise you need an "electronic tampon" microfilter on every
phone/fax/sky box/alarm/clid unit

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !