open ports

Old May 22nd 05, 07:13 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
F9

Default open ports

I thought it would be a good idea to try 'shields up' in a quiet moment and
found the following problems:

Ping Reply: RECEIVED (FAILED) - Your system REPLIED to our Ping (ICMP Echo)
requests, making it visible on the Internet.

Solicited TCP Packets: RECEIVED (FAILED) - one or more of your system's
ports actively responded to our deliberate attempts to establish a
connection.

My question is how can I sort this out. Is a ping the same as an echo reply
and if i block it what new problems will i creat for myself?

Thanks.

Old May 23rd 05, 01:18 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article [email protected] ews, F9
says...
I thought it would be a good idea to try 'shields up' in a quiet moment and
found the following problems:

Ping Reply: RECEIVED (FAILED) - Your system REPLIED to our Ping (ICMP Echo)
requests, making it visible on the Internet.

Solicited TCP Packets: RECEIVED (FAILED) - one or more of your system's
ports actively responded to our deliberate attempts to establish a
connection.

My question is how can I sort this out. Is a ping the same as an echo reply
and if i block it what new problems will i creat for myself?

You see, this is why I hate websites like that. They scare you into
thinking that its the end of the world.

--
Conor

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." O.Osbourne.
Old May 23rd 05, 02:01 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Treefrog

"F9" wrote in message
news:[email protected] eranews...
I thought it would be a good idea to try 'shields up' in a quiet moment

and
found the following problems:

Ping Reply: RECEIVED (FAILED) - Your system REPLIED to our Ping (ICMP

Echo)
requests, making it visible on the Internet.

That's a bit rubbish really, as they say, there's more than one way to skin
a cat. Just because you have ICMP (or maybe just type 8) disabled, it
doesn't mean your system is "invisible".

Solicited TCP Packets: RECEIVED (FAILED) - one or more of your system's
ports actively responded to our deliberate attempts to establish a
connection.

That really could be anything, are you running a webserver or heck even a
p2p application?
Did it mention a specific port that was open? Some things are potentially
serious, while others are not at all.

My question is how can I sort this out. Is a ping the same as an echo

reply
and if i block it what new problems will i creat for myself?

The only problem you'll create for yourself is that you can't do a quick
check to see if you're machine is alive. If you're asking the question, then
you probably wont ever need to do it anyway so it's perfectly ok to disable
ICMP. Most broadband routers have the facility to do it for you, that way
you can keep the ability to ping on your LAN, which can be very usefull.

Thanks.

You're welcome.

Old May 23rd 05, 03:18 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
F9

"F9" wrote in message
news:[email protected] eranews...
I thought it would be a good idea to try 'shields up' in a quiet moment and
found the following problems:

Ping Reply: RECEIVED (FAILED) - Your system REPLIED to our Ping (ICMP
Echo) requests, making it visible on the Internet.

Solicited TCP Packets: RECEIVED (FAILED) - one or more of your system's
ports actively responded to our deliberate attempts to establish a
connection.

My question is how can I sort this out. Is a ping the same as an echo
reply and if i block it what new problems will i creat for myself?

Thanks.

I think you are right. I have outpost pro in stealth mode so cant see why
anything can see an ftp port or get a ping back. It must be to do with the
router.

Old May 23rd 05, 07:50 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

"F9" wrote in message
news:[email protected] eranews...
I thought it would be a good idea to try 'shields up' in a quiet moment and
found the following problems:

Ping Reply: RECEIVED (FAILED) - Your system REPLIED to our Ping (ICMP
Echo) requests, making it visible on the Internet.

Solicited TCP Packets: RECEIVED (FAILED) - one or more of your system's
ports actively responded to our deliberate attempts to establish a
connection.

My question is how can I sort this out. Is a ping the same as an echo
reply and if i block it what new problems will i creat for myself?

Thanks.

I think you are right. I have outpost pro in stealth mode so cant see why
anything can see an ftp port or get a ping back. It must be to do with the
router.

ANd this is why the GRC.com Shields test is a waste of time.