Wireless Access Point question

Old May 22nd 05, 10:44 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Andy Hoe

Default Wireless Access Point question

Hello, I recently bought a Netgear MP101 network music player which
works fine when it's near my router (Belkin F5D7632) but when it is
where I need it to be, the connection is too unreliable to use. What I
did was to buy a Wireless Access Point to extend the range (Belkin
F5D7130) and I can't seem to get this to work as I hoped it would.
Should it be possible to get a wireless connection between the router
and the WAP and between the MP101 and the WAP? When I set it up, all
devices (MP101 and laptop) can see both the router and the WAP and
connect to each but the WAP and the router don't seem to see each other
and when I'm connected to the WAP I can't see the rest of the network.
It works fine when the WAP is connected to the router with an ethernet
cable, I can wirelessly connect to the WAP and get to the Internet and
the rest of the network.
I have set both the WAP and the router to the same SSID but different
channels. Is this correct?
Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.
Thanks,
Andy
Old May 22nd 05, 11:50 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Phil Thompson

On Sun, 22 May 2005 22:44:44 +0100, Andy Hoe
wrote:

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

you're trying to bridge two wireless netowrks, there are boxes that do
that but sounds like you don't have one. Look for bridge or repeater
mode in the manual or online help.

Something like http://www.netgear.com/products/details/ME103.php which
uses WDS to manage such things, there are older methods.

A basic access point connects a wired ethernet to wireless clients,
what you need is sometihng tht acts as a wireless client on one
network and an AP on the other - a bridge, or mesh router or the like.

fiddling about with angles and locations of aerials may help some.

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !
Old May 23rd 05, 08:56 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
David Plowman

Hi

Page 13 of the manual "Setting up Wireless Range Extension..." suggests
using the same channel. If you've lost the manual you can download is he
http://www.belkin.com/support/downlo...oad=996&lang=1
Hope that helps...
David

Old May 23rd 05, 11:36 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Andy Hoe

wrote:

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

you're trying to bridge two wireless netowrks, there are boxes that do
that but sounds like you don't have one. Look for bridge or repeater
mode in the manual or online help.

Something like http://www.netgear.com/products/details/ME103.php which
uses WDS to manage such things, there are older methods.

A basic access point connects a wired ethernet to wireless clients,
what you need is sometihng tht acts as a wireless client on one
network and an AP on the other - a bridge, or mesh router or the like.

fiddling about with angles and locations of aerials may help some.

Phil

Thanks for the reply, I found this:
http://www.belkin.com/support/downlo...ad=1105&lang=1

Which suggests it is possible but my router doesn't have the option for
wireless bridge as it's a different product number to the one mentioned
so perhaps my router can't do it?
Old May 24th 05, 08:14 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Phil Thompson

On Mon, 23 May 2005 23:36:37 +0100, Andy Hoe
wrote:

Which suggests it is possible but my router doesn't have the option for
wireless bridge as it's a different product number to the one mentioned
so perhaps my router can't do it?

possible, there's a thread in here about Belkin Access Points that do
have the range extending ability, from one to another (but not direct
from a router if I understand correctly)

Phil
Old May 24th 05, 12:38 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Robin Grayson

wrote:

[...]

The Belkin 7130 should have a 'wireless bridge' option on the menu. If
it doesn't, it's likely you are running an older version of the
firmware. If this is the case, grab the latest firmware for the 7130
and install it.

I can't speak for the Belkin router as I don't have one, and haven't
seen the configuration screens; however I have got several 7130's
bridged here.

I'm assuming here that you want the two belkin devices bridged, with
the MP101 player connecting to the strongest signal (presumable will
be the 7130?)

The SSID doesn't matter, that can be what you like.
The Channel must be the same on all the devices
The Security settings need to be identical on the devices also
- if you have encryption, make sure it is set *excatly* the same on
all devices.

Let me know how you get on

Regards,

Robin.
Old May 24th 05, 01:17 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Andy Hoe

Thanks for everyone's help so far, I have now received an email from
Belkin tech support which says that it's my router that doesn't support
bridging.
I guess my only option (apart from getting a new router) is to get
another 7130, connect one to the router with an ethernet cable and
bridge to the other one which my MP101 would then wirelessly connect
to. Would this work? Robin, you described what I want to to correctly -
it seems like a pain having to buy another access point to do this..

Old May 24th 05, 02:26 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Robin Grayson

On 24 May 2005 05:17:34 -0700, "Andy Hoe" wrote:

Thanks for everyone's help so far, I have now received an email from
Belkin tech support which says that it's my router that doesn't support
bridging.
I guess my only option (apart from getting a new router) is to get
another 7130, connect one to the router with an ethernet cable and
bridge to the other one which my MP101 would then wirelessly connect
to. Would this work? Robin, you described what I want to to correctly -
it seems like a pain having to buy another access point to do this..

If the MP101 can already connect to the 7130, then yes, adding another
7130 to the router should work.

I've just had to replace my router, and my new one is a draytek with
built in wireless (and supports bridging). Not had chance to get it
working with the Belkin's yet (or should I say I tried and failed, and
is now waiting until time permits to sort it out)
Old May 24th 05, 03:05 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Robin Grayson

On Tue, 24 May 2005 14:26:41 +0100, Robin Grayson
wrote:

[...]

Ugh wouldn't you know it, the draytek 2600VGi doesn't support
'bridging' (yet)

Looks like I too will be sticking with a 7130 into the router
Old May 24th 05, 07:51 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
David Plowman

Hi

Yes, using two 7130s does work, it's what I use. My router is a 7630
which doesn't support bridging. I found no particular problems doing
this. Don't forget to change the IP address of one of the 7130s. All I
then had to do was follow the steps in the manual (p.13).

David