Belkin Access Points

Old May 23rd 05, 08:03 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
John

Default Belkin Access Points

Hi All,

I'm hoping that some of you can help, I have a belkin adsl wireless router
and 2 belkin access points now and am battling to extend my wireless range,
is there a step by step guide I could follow as the manual and belkin tech
support are inconclusive. As both access points share the same ip address
http://192.168.2.254, its difficult to configure them each, I've have even
unplugged one and configured on there own changing one address to
http://192.168.2.253 , but with no luck as they will not communicate with
each other.

Any Advice
Thanks John

Old May 23rd 05, 08:23 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Phil Thompson

On Mon, 23 May 2005 07:03:48 +0000 (UTC), "John"
wrote:

As both access points share the same ip address

can't you just change that ? one of the first rules of TCP/IP
netowrking is that IP addresses should be unique.

if you said which model of AP someone may know, for example at
http://geek.pricegrabber.com/rating_...659/id_type=M/
one guy talked of changing the IP address.

How are you trying to do this - using them as wireless range extenders
or are they wired ?

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !
Old May 23rd 05, 09:36 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
NBT

wrote:

As both access points share the same ip address

can't you just change that ? one of the first rules of TCP/IP
netowrking is that IP addresses should be unique.

if you said which model of AP someone may know, for example at
http://geek.pricegrabber.com/rating_...659/id_type=M/
one guy talked of changing the IP address.

How are you trying to do this - using them as wireless range extenders
or are they wired ?

Phil

1.As Phil says,Model of AP's and Router may help.
2.Are you trying a "2 hop " extension or 2 "1 hop" extensions?
If 1 hop extensions have you tried
http://www.belkin.com/support/kb/kb.asp?a=2814
3.What type of encryption do you wish to use as early models,don't know
about new, did not support WPA in WDS mode.

This may give you some basic idea:-
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/Secti...le78-page6.php
Old May 23rd 05, 08:48 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
David Plowman

Hi

I did exactly this with my F5D7630uk4a wireless modem/router and 2
F5D7130 access points (you can't range extend a 7630 with a 7130, you
have to buy a *second* 7130, but don't get me started on that again...).

Maybe these are the same models you have? I don't remember it being too
problematic once I'd changed one IP address to x.x.x.253 (leaving the
other at its default x.x.x.254). The manual gave reasonable instructions
starting on p.13 "Setting up Wireless Range Extension ...", once you
replace references to "main router" with "other 7130".

If you don't have a manual, you can download it he
http://www.belkin.com/support/downlo...oad=996&lang=1

Hope that helps. Good luck.
David

Old May 23rd 05, 09:28 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
John

Thanks David et al

David I do have the same as you, my problem is that one AP is connected
directly to the router and the other is downstairs, so im trying to connect
the one downstairs, but with no luck, ive changed the ip to 192.168.2.253
and left the other as default, but I cant get them to communicate with each
other, all I get is limited or no connection, what steps did you take to
link them up?

Thanks

Old May 24th 05, 12:19 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Robin Grayson

On Mon, 23 May 2005 20:28:31 +0000 (UTC), "John"
wrote:

Thanks David et al

David I do have the same as you, my problem is that one AP is connected
directly to the router and the other is downstairs, so im trying to connect
the one downstairs, but with no luck, ive changed the ip to 192.168.2.253
and left the other as default, but I cant get them to communicate with each
other, all I get is limited or no connection, what steps did you take to
link them up?

Thanks

Hi John,

Do you have WEP encryption enabled on any of the wireless devices you
are trying to link?

I have a similar setup he

1 x 7130 direct into the router
1 x 7130 in the garage
1 x 7130 in between the other two

at each point I have the 7130 plugged into a switch and then run a
wired LAN in each location.

I seem to remember it went ok linking the three together, but the only
caveat was that they all had to have exactly the same WEP encryption.

I also gave the access points their own SSID ... ie RG-AP1, RG-AP2
RG-AP3. I have since read somewhere that I could have had all three
the same (I didn't know this at the time) but this way does let you
know which AP you are connected to.

Hope this helps?

Regards,

Robin.

Old May 24th 05, 07:55 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
David Plowman

Hi again

So far as I can remember, I just followed the exact steps in the manual,
replacing "main router" by the other 7130. Don't forget to add each
others MAC addresses into the list of allowed MAC addresses (actually, I
did this but don't actually know if it's required!), assuming you have
MAC address filtering enabled. Another poster has also suggested setting
it all up without encryption initially.

I presume you're in a situation where *one* 7130 is functioning
correctly... can you ping the other?

Sorry not to be more help
David

Old May 24th 05, 10:10 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
John

Thanks all,
I've managed to get them to work, it all had to do with a MAC addresses, and
security settings. Its up and running now.