What password does this want??

Old May 23rd 05, 07:37 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
JIP

Default What password does this want??

greetings

I'm still quite new to networking, but I'll do my best to explain my
problem.

I had a network set up as follows. Main computer wired into a Linksys
router/modem. Laptop connected wireless to same. Both using Win XP.

Then got a slightly older computer out of mothballs (still Win XP), fitted
Linkysys wireless adadpter card. This computer connects to the modem router
fine - net access works perfectly. It also sees the other two computers and
is able to access the folders on them where sharing is enabled. can copy to
and from.

BUT - if I try to access the new/old computer FROM the original two, I'm
asked for a user name and password.

On that computer, the only user name was the original one when it was set
up, say Fred Smith. I don't recall setting a password for it. But when I
type Fred Smith and leave the password blank, I just get told wrong
permissions and other messages.

Can anyone point me in a direction to deal with this please?

Old May 23rd 05, 08:37 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Phil Thompson

On Mon, 23 May 2005 18:37:14 +0100, "JIP" wrote:

Can anyone point me in a direction to deal with this please?

enable Guest access on the one that causes problems ?

Control Panel, User Accounts at a guess.

Otherwise put a user on each machine with a password that matches the
others and use that.

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !