Which modem to work best with a Belkin Wireless 54g Router - F5D7230UK4?

Old May 24th 05, 06:03 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
km

Default Which modem to work best with a Belkin Wireless 54g Router - F5D7230UK4?

I have set up a Network at a Charity I help, using:

Belkin Wireless 54g Router No. F5D7230UK4.
Three PCs are cabled and two have Belkin wireless PCI Nos. F5D7000UK
cards.

There has now been a request (from the Charity involved) to connect to
the Internet.

Can you please recommend the Modem which is most suitable and which
will work best with this set-up?

KM
Old May 24th 05, 09:41 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Phil Thompson

On Tue, 24 May 2005 17:03:39 +0100, km wrote:

Can you please recommend the Modem which is most suitable and which
will work best with this set-up?

you can switch that into Access Point mode and then connect it to an
ADSL modem/router. Mine is plugged into a Zoom X3 for example.

or you can scrap it and buy a similar Belkin product including an ADSL
modem - a 7630UK4 for instance
http://www.comet.co.uk/comet/html/cache/117_161497.html

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !
Old May 24th 05, 10:09 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
km

or you can scrap it and buy a similar Belkin product including an ADSL
modem - a 7630UK4 for instance
http://www.comet.co.uk/comet/html/cache/117_161497.html

Phil

I had thought it was probably worth buying another router with modem
combined.

For my own home set up I have a D-Link 300G+ modem that works well
with a Belkin Router. These are no longer available (also an old
standard!) so that is why I hoped to get some recommendations and find
a separate modem which caused no conflicts.

I must admit that I have had some adverse comments about the Belkin763
(I also believe that a couple of resellers are refusing to recommend
it).

I suppose that the wisest thing is to keep it simple and start with a
combined router/modem. Seems a shame to be wasting the money spent on
the router.

KM
Old May 24th 05, 10:20 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
poster

On 24 May 2005 21:09, km wrote:

I suppose that the wisest thing is to keep it simple and start with a
combined router/modem. Seems a shame to be wasting the money spent on
the router.

Never thought to try to sell it as second-hand, in the local newspaper
or on Ebay. Given that it is for a charity, and presumably has been
given adequate care, you may be able to get a reasonable portion of
the cost back, but as with most kit the prices come down,it may be
disappointing... How about getting some 1-port or 4-port ADSL modem/
router combofrom Dabs.com or Ebuyer.com for under 35 quid, and fixing
that up as the internet link... I've a cheapo one I could even lend
you for free for a month or so, if you have no spare and no contacts
with one spare... Peter M.
Old May 24th 05, 10:36 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
km

On Tue, 24 May 2005 21:20:09 +0100, poster
wrote:

On 24 May 2005 21:09, km wrote:

I suppose that the wisest thing is to keep it simple and start with a
combined router/modem. Seems a shame to be wasting the money spent on
the router.

Never thought to try to sell it as second-hand, in the local newspaper
or on Ebay. Given that it is for a charity, and presumably has been
given adequate care, you may be able to get a reasonable portion of
the cost back, but as with most kit the prices come down,it may be
disappointing... How about getting some 1-port or 4-port ADSL modem/
router combofrom Dabs.com or Ebuyer.com for under 35 quid, and fixing
that up as the internet link... I've a cheapo one I could even lend
you for free for a month or so, if you have no spare and no contacts
with one spare... Peter M.

Thanks for the offer. Surprisingly on this occasion money isn't a
major issue as the equipment is being purchased from a donation. I
threw in the comment about the waste of money as it just goes against
the grain for this to happen.

As the donation has come from a Bank I want to ensure that everything
is identifiable as "new purchases". The resale of the router is a
course I may well take. It was simply an attempt on my part to get the
next item to work well together with the current equipment.

As previously mentioned I now anticipate the best course is to get
another modem/router for about 70.

KM
Old May 25th 05, 12:37 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Phil Thompson

On Tue, 24 May 2005 21:09:10 +0100, km wrote:

I had thought it was probably worth buying another router with modem
combined.

46 inc VAT for the Zoom at Ebuyer.com Quickfind code: 86871
plenty of other options, I just happen to have the above. No point
duplicating the wireless bit.

you could think about a VoIP router if the telephony might be useful
to the charity and you are buying new.

For my own home set up I have a D-Link 300G+ modem that works well
with a Belkin Router.

does it give the external IP to the Belkin or is it effectively
trunning as a one port router ?

Phil
Old May 25th 05, 08:26 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
km

46 inc VAT for the Zoom at Ebuyer.com Quickfind code: 86871
plenty of other options, I just happen to have the above. No point
duplicating the wireless bit.

To keep things simple I think the best course is to buy a combined
router/modem and sell on the old router.

you could think about a VoIP router if the telephony might be useful
to the charity and you are buying new.

The nominated line will not be used for any other activity. The Day
Centre involved is only open 3 days per week with little outgoing
phone usage.

For my own home set up I have a D-Link 300G+ modem that works well
with a Belkin Router.

does it give the external IP to the Belkin or is it effectively
trunning as a one port router ?

The connection relates to the Belkin set up and, although I use one PC
for internet connection I have wired up a network with Internet access
available to three other PCs if grandchildren/other visitors want to
use Net access at the same time. All runs smoothly, that is why it
crossed my mind to do something similar with the existing router
installed at the Charity.

KM