Wireless problem

Old May 25th 05, 12:34 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Thin Eric

Default Wireless problem

Hello,

I have a Netgear FWG114P wireless firewall/router.

I have my PC direct connected with cable.

My kids have a laptop each which are fitted with Netgear WG511 wirless PC
cards.
Both laptops were bought new a six months ago, both using Windows XP and
both configured the same.

Recently one of the laptops kept losing connection and would only
re-establish it after a complete reboot.

Then last week it wouldn't connect at all.

After much head scratching I decided to wipe the laptop and restore it to as
it was when we bought it.

I installed the wireless card and driver and lo and behold - it still
wouldn't connect.

So i took the wireless card out of laptop 2 and put it in laptop 1 - hey
presto it worked.

So today I bought a replacement card - same make/type as before.

Put it in laptop 1 and it still won't connect.

I've compared all the settings for both laptops 1 & 2 and they're the same.

The router (192.168.0.1) assigns my PC as 192.168.0.2 which is fine.

It assigns laptop 2 192.168.0.4 which is also fine but laptop 1 it assigns
some other IP address each time but never 192.168.xxx.xxx

What could be wrong ?

The only way I can get laptop 1 to connect is to manually assign an IP
address, default gateway and DNS servers.

I'm not that bothered about this unless it's best to have everything
assigned automatically but my PC and laptop 2 work fine with no problem.

I've checked the settings on the router and also the software firewall too.

I also tried plugging laptop 1 direct into the router with a cable and it
works fine like that also.

I'm now wondering if the wireless card was faulty at all so any help would
be appreciated.

Thank you

Old May 25th 05, 09:41 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Paul D.Smith

What security are you using and what passphrase length?
What is the spec. of laptop #1, high end or getting a bit long in the tooth?
If the WG511 a v1 or v2? If it doesn't say, then it's v1.

I have had a similar problem using a WG511(v1), WPA-PSK and a key 32
characters, although others have not had this problem. I have a slight
suspicion that it might be a result of the laptop having insufficient power
to handle a long key. Perhaps your laptop was "on the edge" and something
you have installed/changed (anti-virus update maybe?) has tipped it over the
edge.

Try a shorter key and let us know if that works.

Paul DS.

Old May 26th 05, 03:13 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Thin Eric

"Paul D.Smith" wrote in message
t...
What security are you using and what passphrase length?
What is the spec. of laptop #1, high end or getting a bit long in the
tooth?
If the WG511 a v1 or v2? If it doesn't say, then it's v1.

I have had a similar problem using a WG511(v1), WPA-PSK and a key 32
characters, although others have not had this problem. I have a slight
suspicion that it might be a result of the laptop having insufficient
power
to handle a long key. Perhaps your laptop was "on the edge" and something
you have installed/changed (anti-virus update maybe?) has tipped it over
the
edge.

Try a shorter key and let us know if that works.

Thanks for reply Paul

Security - WPA-PSK
Passphase length - 11
Laptop Specs both - AMD Sempron 2800+ 512mb RAM 40GB HDD
Original card was v1 but suspecting the card was faulty as I said in post I
bought another - v2

Cheers

Old May 26th 05, 10:11 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Paul D.Smith

Thanks for reply Paul

Security - WPA-PSK
Passphase length - 11
Laptop Specs both - AMD Sempron 2800+ 512mb RAM 40GB HDD
Original card was v1 but suspecting the card was faulty as I said in post

bought another - v2

Cheers

Umm. Never had any problems with a key that small. Your PC is also quite
fast so its not my possible "slow PC" problem. I presume you've tried
sitting right next to the router? But then you've swapped the cards between
the PC so that probably checked the range.

That's the limit of my knowledge I'm afraid. If you figure out what it is,
let us know.

Oh, just thought of 2 things.

1. Try with all security disabled, SSID transmitted etc. and see what
happens.
2. Have you waited some time to get an IP address? I've found that my
portable can take a little time to get a DHCP address but then its fine.
Don't know why though.

Paul DS.

Old May 26th 05, 03:18 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
NBT

Thin Eric wrote:
8.......................
Security - WPA-PSK
Passphase length - 11
Laptop Specs both - AMD Sempron 2800+ 512mb RAM 40GB HDD
Original card was v1 but suspecting the card was faulty as I said in post I
bought another - v2

Cheers

Are you using MAC filtering? If so did you remember to enter your new
cards MAC address into the router?
Is the IP address you are getting a 169.254.xx.xxx number?
Old May 26th 05, 08:23 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Thin Eric

"NBT" wrote in message
Thin Eric wrote:
8.......................
Security - WPA-PSK
Passphase length - 11
Laptop Specs both - AMD Sempron 2800+ 512mb RAM 40GB HDD
Original card was v1 but suspecting the card was faulty as I said in post
I bought another - v2

Cheers

Are you using MAC filtering? If so did you remember to enter your new
cards MAC address into the router?
Is the IP address you are getting a 169.254.xx.xxx number?

I did change the mac address yes.

And YES it was a 169.254.xxx.xxx number

Why is that ?

Old May 26th 05, 09:31 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
NBT

Thin Eric wrote:
8.....................................
And YES it was a 169.254.xxx.xxx number

Why is that ?

This is the default address that is allocated when there is a problem
trying to obtain one from the DHCP server.Automatic Private IP
Addressing (APIPA)

If using XPSP2 rt.click on your wireless connection icon and click on
repair and see if this has any effect.
Old May 27th 05, 08:13 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Thin Eric

"NBT" wrote in message
Thin Eric wrote:
8.....................................
And YES it was a 169.254.xxx.xxx number

Why is that ?

This is the default address that is allocated when there is a problem
trying to obtain one from the DHCP server.Automatic Private IP Addressing
(APIPA)

If using XPSP2 rt.click on your wireless connection icon and click on
repair and see if this has any effect.

Thanks for that info re IP address.

I tried the repair opion when it first failed - all to no avail.

Old May 27th 05, 09:33 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
NBT

Thin Eric wrote:
Thanks for that info re IP address.

I tried the repair opion when it first failed - all to no avail.

If you connect the laptop to the router via it's Ethernet connection and
try to use DHCP does it get allocated a viable address?

There are a couple of things that can be tried
1.A Microsoft patch
2.A winsock fix.
see:- http://www.pchell.com/support/limitedconnectivity.shtml