Network card problem

Old May 27th 05, 12:23 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Engelkott

Default Network card problem

Hi!

I have a laptop with 2 network cards on it, a cable card and a
wireless card. I have installed VMWare Workstation so I can learn
Linux before making the leap.

VMWare installs 2 virtual network cards and somehow one of these has
become the default device for network and internet use. I know this
because i have to disable them to be able to access the internet on my
wireless connection.

My question is this, how can i tell Windows which network device i
want to use the internet on?

Many thanks for your help.

Engelkott

Old May 27th 05, 06:02 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article , Engelkott
says...

Hi!

I have a laptop with 2 network cards on it, a cable card and a
wireless card. I have installed VMWare Workstation so I can learn
Linux before making the leap.

VMWare installs 2 virtual network cards and somehow one of these has
become the default device for network and internet use. I know this
because i have to disable them to be able to access the internet on my
wireless connection.

My question is this, how can i tell Windows which network device i
want to use the internet on?

If you read the manual you'll find that VMWare can use the network card
in one of 3 modes. Set it to use NAT.

--
Conor

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." O.Osbourne.
Old May 28th 05, 12:51 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Engelkott

My question is this, how can i tell Windows which network device i
want to use the internet on?

If you read the manual you'll find that VMWare can use the network card
in one of 3 modes. Set it to use NAT.

My problem is not with VMWare, everythign works fine in there. The
problem is Windows! If i do not have VMWare running i can't surf the
net. If i run a guest os in VMWare i can surf the net on the guest os
but not Windows (the host os).

This is because Windows has decided that 'VMWare Network Adapter
VMnet1' is the default network adapter. If i disable this virtual
network adpater then i can surf in Windows perfectly well.

I have tried uninstalling VMWare in the hope Windows would then select
my wireless card as the default adapter, which it does but as soon as
i install VMWare again Windows changes the default card again.

All i need to do is be able to tell Windows which network card to use
for the default connection to the outside world.

Cheers,

Engelkott

Old May 28th 05, 06:25 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article , Engelkott
says...

My question is this, how can i tell Windows which network device i
want to use the internet on?

If you read the manual you'll find that VMWare can use the network card
in one of 3 modes. Set it to use NAT.

My problem is not with VMWare, everythign works fine in there. The
problem is Windows! If i do not have VMWare running i can't surf the
net. If i run a guest os in VMWare i can surf the net on the guest os
but not Windows (the host os).

So the problem is with VMWare. You haven't grasped how it does
networking.

This is because Windows has decided that 'VMWare Network Adapter
VMnet1' is the default network adapter. If i disable this virtual
network adpater then i can surf in Windows perfectly well.

Like I said......

I have tried uninstalling VMWare in the hope Windows would then select
my wireless card as the default adapter, which it does but as soon as
i install VMWare again Windows changes the default card again.

All i need to do is be able to tell Windows which network card to use
for the default connection to the outside world.

Just alter the TCP/IP settings and in Default Gateway, set it to the IP
address of the router.

Old May 29th 05, 12:11 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Engelkott

My problem is not with VMWare, everythign works fine in there. The
problem is Windows! If i do not have VMWare running i can't surf the
net. If i run a guest os in VMWare i can surf the net on the guest os
but not Windows (the host os).

So the problem is with VMWare. You haven't grasped how it does
networking.

Maybe so but after using VMWare for 2 years (nearly 3) i have not
experienced this problem before! However i do not claim to be an
expert on VMWare.

I have tried uninstalling VMWare in the hope Windows would then select
my wireless card as the default adapter, which it does but as soon as
i install VMWare again Windows changes the default card again.

All i need to do is be able to tell Windows which network card to use
for the default connection to the outside world.

Just alter the TCP/IP settings and in Default Gateway, set it to the IP
address of the router.

Ok, in my Netowrk Connections i have the following 'cards':

1394 Connection
Local Area Connection (Disabled) - My laptop's built in LAN port.
Wireless Network Connection - Netgear MA521 PC Card
VMWare Network Adapter VMNet 1
VMWare Network Adapter VMNet 8

Ignoring the first two entries, the wireless card has the folowing in
the properties:

Client for Microsoft Networks
VMWare Bridge Protacol
File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks
QoS Packet Scheduler
Internet Protacol (TCP/IP)

All of these are ticked and no settings have been changed in any of
these. My Netgear router is set up to be a DHCP server because I have
5 computers at home so it makes life easier.

The VMWare has the following in it's properties:

Client for Microsoft Networks
VMWare Bridge Protacol
File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks
Internet Protacol (TCP/IP)

Only the VMWare Bridge Protacol is unticked. In the TCP/IP properties
there is the following information:

IP address: 192.168.176.1
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1

Preferred DNS Server: 213.179.2.10
Alternate DNS Server: 213.179.3.5

As i said before, if i leave the VMWare 1 enabled i can't access the
network unless i am in a virtual machine. If i disbale VMWare 1 all is
fine and dandy. However, if all are enabled and i perform a tracert
from the command prompt, i get a reply. (1 14 ms * 765 ms 192.168.0.1)

As far as i am concerned this is set up correctly. It is how i have
set up the software for the last 2 years and i have not had this
problem before. Still, knowing computers like i do i know that does
not mean much! I have had something working a certain way for months
before it decides to stop working only for me to find out it should
not have worked in the first place.

If we take away the VMWare equasion for a second, when i install my
laptop with Windows (almost bi-monthly) by default the internal LAN
port is selected as the network connection. When i put in my wireless
card it gets seen but basically ignored when it comes to using the
network unless i disbale the internal LAN port.

This is basically the same problem as the VMWare problem. I want to be
able to know how to tell Windows which device to use for the network
connection instead of disabling this and that.

Thanks for your help and feedback.

Engelkott

Old May 29th 05, 04:59 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article , Engelkott
says...

If we take away the VMWare equasion for a second, when i install my
laptop with Windows (almost bi-monthly) by default the internal LAN
port is selected as the network connection. When i put in my wireless
card it gets seen but basically ignored when it comes to using the
network unless i disbale the internal LAN port.

This is basically the same problem as the VMWare problem. I want to be
able to know how to tell Windows which device to use for the network
connection instead of disabling this and that.

Same problem as the VMWare one. Whatever card has a default gateway set
that communicates with the router will get used.

I have a client who has an onboard NIC and a WiFi one. Wifi connects to
Wifi ADSL Modem router and provides connectivity to the LAN/WWW and the
onboard to a Printserver running a vinyl printer/cutter. If the onboard
has a default gateway set, the computer tries to access the LAN through
the onboard and not WiFi. Remove the default gateway setting in the
onboard and make sure the WiFi has default setting set to IP of router
and it all works OK.

Old May 29th 05, 06:40 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Engelkott

On Sun, 29 May 2005 15:59:37 +0100, Conor
wrote:

In article , Engelkott
says...

[...]

Thanks for your help, i did as you suggested and it works. However,
now my VMWare machines no longer work with the network.

Without the default gateway in the VMware 1 'card' i am unable to
access the virtual machine's server (for testing and learning Samba on
Linux) because it is not connected to the gateway.

I have VMWare set to give each virtual machine it's own IP Address.

With reference to my two physical NIC on my laptop, neither of them
has the default gateway set (as i run a DHCP server) so i assume i
have no choice but to disable one of them unless i want to set up the
properties manually? I thought or assumed there was a setting
somewhere for preferred output card with the os listening for all
incoming requests.

The thing i also do not understand is that i have had things working
like this for neigh on 2 years without this problem cropping up. Oh
well, computers........

Engelkott

Old May 29th 05, 07:18 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Engelkott

[...]

I guess what i am trying to ask is if Windows has 2 NIC's with the
default gateway in them or 2 without under a DHCP server like i have,
why does Windows choose the wrong one?

Why does Windows not test them to see which has the connection?

Engelkott