Setting up a network

Old May 28th 05, 01:19 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
LionOfTheSouth

Default Setting up a network

I am using Telewest broadband . Just purchased a Netgear RP614 router.
I have two PCs and an Xbox . After following the instructions, all machines
can share the internet . However I want to set up a network so that I can
share files between the PCs. I go through the Setting up a small Network
wizard, but it always ends up with an error.

Please be advised that I am a total numptie ,so please use simple language .

TIA

Old May 28th 05, 02:59 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
John Steele

"LionOfTheSouth" wrote in message
o.uk...
I am using Telewest broadband . Just purchased a Netgear RP614 router.
I have two PCs and an Xbox . After following the instructions, all
machines
can share the internet . However I want to set up a network so that I can
share files between the PCs. I go through the Setting up a small Network
wizard, but it always ends up with an error.

Please be advised that I am a total numptie ,so please use simple language
.

What Operating system? (It sounds like XP)

What error do you get?

On the assumption that you are using XP can you try:

Click Start on the task bar
Click Run
Type cmd on the text box and click OK

This will bring up a Window on the screen

In the Window type
ipconfig /all

This should bring give a list of information. If you copy that out (click on
the little icon on the left of the title bar, this brings up a menu, select
Edit and then mark. Use the mouse to select an area and then press the enter
key on the keyboard) and past it into your reply. This will be useful.

John Steele

Old May 28th 05, 04:17 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
LionOfTheSouth

"John Steele" wrote in message

[...]

Yes, both computers have Win XP Pro .The error message just says something
along the lines of " An error has occurred during configuration of the
network on this PC . You can configure manually or run wizard again" .

Thats if I choose the first option in the wizard ie this PC connects
directly to the internet .
It goes through the set up if I choose individual connections to internet.

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Johnipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : JOHN
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 6:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NETGEAR FA311 Fast Etherne
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-02-E3-17-26-AA
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
194.117.134.19
62.30.0.39
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 28 May 2005 12:11:50
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 19 January 2038 04:14:07

Old May 28th 05, 05:08 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dr Teeth

On Sat, 28 May 2005 12:19:40 GMT, "LionOfTheSouth"
wrote:

Please be advised that I am a total numptie ,so please use simple language .

Disable firewalls and you have to explicitly open folders for sharing.

--
Cheers,

Guy

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-02-E3-17-26-AA
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
194.117.134.19
62.30.0.39
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 28 May 2005 12:11:50
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 19 January 2038 04:14:07

Everything above looks fine.

Have you enabled File and printer sharing? This is needed to set up the
network so that you can access files across a local network.

Control panel/Network Connections/right click for your Ethernet connection
and select Properties and you should see a dialog box with a heading "This
connection uses the following items.
Client for Microsoft Window
File and Printer sharing.

plus some others.

I am wondering if you selected the correct options for the Wizard - they are
not immediately obvious when using a local network with a router. I always
have to read the instructions carefully.

If you have a multiport Ethernet connection to a router then you need to
select Other on the first page of the wizard.

On the second page select the option This computer connects to the internet
directly or through a network hub.As you follow the options from there you
will find an option to set file and printer sharing on

John Steele

Old May 28th 05, 08:44 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
LionOfTheSouth

wrote:

Please be advised that I am a total numptie ,so please use simple

language .

Disable firewalls and you have to explicitly open folders for sharing.

--
Cheers,

Guy

All firewalls turned off . Set it up as explained by John Steele . On the
2nd PC I can "see" the 1st one although I cant access any of the folders .
On the 1st PC I cannot see the 2nd one .

Old May 28th 05, 09:43 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Phil Thompson

On Sat, 28 May 2005 19:44:00 GMT, "LionOfTheSouth"
wrote:

On the
2nd PC I can "see" the 1st one although I cant access any of the folders .

have you explicitly shared a folder. The PC won't offer a service if
you don't tell it to.

Right mouse a folder, security and sharing is half way down.

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !
Old May 28th 05, 10:26 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
LionOfTheSouth

wrote:

On the
2nd PC I can "see" the 1st one although I cant access any of the folders

..

have you explicitly shared a folder. The PC won't offer a service if
you don't tell it to.

Right mouse a folder, security and sharing is half way down.

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !

You mean ,so the little hand is under the folder icon? Yes I have done that.

Old May 28th 05, 11:42 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dr Teeth

On Sat, 28 May 2005 21:26:03 GMT, "LionOfTheSouth"
wrote:

Yes I have done that.

It's a bugger isn't it.

You will probably need to mess around with permissions.

Right-click the folders you wish to share, click on the sharing tab
then the permissions button.

Good luck.

--
Cheers,

Guy

Old May 29th 05, 09:20 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Phil Thompson

wrote:

You mean ,so the little hand is under the folder icon? Yes I have done that.

good.

Look at the WINS tab of the Advanced button of TCP/IP properties of
each conenction and ensure "Use NetBIOS over TCP/IP" is checked

Ensure you have either a) guest access enabled on all machines or b)
the same username and password combination existing on all machines
including use of only CAPITALS if any Win98 / ME machines are
involved. Blank passwords may not work. Option a) is simpler.

Phil