Netgear WG311v2 and old Acer Pentium II.

Old May 29th 05, 10:44 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
chipshop

Default Netgear WG311v2 and old Acer Pentium II.

Greetings all...

I've inherited an old AcerPower 8000 Pentium II machine which I'd like
to set up for the children just for internet access.

For this purpose I bought another WG311v2 and installed it (on Windows
98se), installed the latest BIOS upgrade (the last bios upgrade I could
find for this system was from back in 2000) but when I power up.. the
system won't boot and the screen stays blank.

When I remove the card the system is back to normal and boots up properly.

I then disabled the onboard ethernet and tried again.
Still nothing.

Do you think the motherboard is just too old?
I'd appreciate any suggestions..please!

Regards
ChipShop
Old May 29th 05, 04:35 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Tiny Tim

"chipshop" wrote in message

Greetings all...

I've inherited an old AcerPower 8000 Pentium II machine which I'd like to
set up for the children just for internet access.

For this purpose I bought another WG311v2 and installed it (on Windows
98se), installed the latest BIOS upgrade (the last bios upgrade I could
find for this system was from back in 2000) but when I power up.. the
system won't boot and the screen stays blank.

When I remove the card the system is back to normal and boots up properly.

I then disabled the onboard ethernet and tried again.
Still nothing.

Do you think the motherboard is just too old?
I'd appreciate any suggestions..please!

I can't comment on your system but I am running a Netgear WG511 (V1) in a
Dell Inspiron 7000 (PII 300) of September 1998 vintage with no problems at
all. I do have Win XP installed. I also had a 3COM 3CRPAG175 and another
3COM card also working in this machine so age alone may not be a factor but
perhaps some other hardware problem.