Wireless web browsing problem - really need some help

Old May 29th 05, 12:39 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

Default Wireless web browsing problem - really need some help

Can anyone help me out? I am finding that after prolonged inactivity
(about an hour or so) I can no longer browse the internet or receive
emails. Any site I visit gets a timed out message. However checking
my connection to the router seems ok and also downloads that are
currently underway continue but I can't browse. I am running XP (card
fully patched) with a Texas Instruments wirelss card (latest drivers)
and a ADSL Modem With Built-In 11g Wireless Router F5D7630uk4A (latest
firmware). My internet connection is broadband via Tesco.net, I have
Zone-Alarm and AEG anti virus software installed. I have WPA encryption
setup.

The only fix i have found is to reboot my PC each time this happens. I
have tried shutting down each of the connections in turn but that
doesn't work.

Can anyone help?

Old May 29th 05, 02:18 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
deKay

Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des 29 May 2005
03:39:08 -0700, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do uk.comp.home-networking,
yawatina tan reek esk fornis do marikano es bono tan el:

The only fix i have found is to reboot my PC each time this happens. I
have tried shutting down each of the connections in turn but that
doesn't work.

Can anyone help?

I had a similar problem a while ago, but it wasn't just wireless affected. It
turned out by WAP had reset itself back to the factory settings, meaning:

1) It now had the same IP as my router, and
2) It now had a DCHP server running, as did my router.

The symptoms were that "active" connections carried on working (downloads, SSH
tunnel, etc), but web requests and pings were intermittent.

Perhaps you have two IPs on your network that are the same? Or you have two
DHCP servers (have you got ICS running on another machine, for example?)
giving out different DNS information or IPs on the "wrong" scope.

deKay
--
+ Lofi Gaming:
www.lofi-gaming.org.uk [Gamertag: deKay 01]
Old May 29th 05, 08:03 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
hornbyrob

There is currently only one PC on my network when i do an ipconfig on
the pc i get this:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Ethernet adapter Home Wireless LAN:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Belkin

I think this suggests that my pc and router have different IP
addresses?! This doesn't change once i have the issue...

How can i check what you have said?

Old May 29th 05, 09:46 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
deKay

Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des 29 May 2005
11:03:17 -0700, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do uk.comp.home-networking,
yawatina tan reek esk "hornbyrob" fornis do marikano
es bono tan el:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Belkin

I think this suggests that my pc and router have different IP
addresses?! This doesn't change once i have the issue...

How can i check what you have said?

Do you have any other devices on your network that may potentially have
192.168.2.1 or .2.2 as their IP address, aside from your PC and router?

deKay
Old May 30th 05, 05:20 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jim

hornbyrob wrote on 5/29/2005 2:03 PM:
There is currently only one PC on my network when i do an ipconfig on
the pc i get this:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Ethernet adapter Home Wireless LAN:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Belkin

I think this suggests that my pc and router have different IP
addresses?! This doesn't change once i have the issue...

How can i check what you have said?

Sounds like your DNS server is flaky.

Jim
Old May 30th 05, 09:40 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
hornbyrob

It actually seems to be some problem with Zone Alarm - switch that off
and my connection is cooking again. Don't really want to switch it off
though...I updated ZA to include my routers IP as a trusted zone which
seemed to work for a minute but ive had problems since with the speed
of my connection and I have just had the timeout issue again. Funny
thing is that when this timeout connection issue happens I can still
search on google without any problems?!

Even shutting down zone alarm and restarting does not cure the issue.
I have to reboot.

Any ideas what i am doing wrong - do i trust XPs inbuilt firewall
instead?

Old June 1st 05, 10:29 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

in ZA try firewall then advanced and tick allow dns outgoing in
trusted zone and tick outgoing in internet

Old June 1st 05, 10:43 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jim

hornbyrob wrote on 5/30/2005 3:40 PM:
It actually seems to be some problem with Zone Alarm - switch that off
and my connection is cooking again. Don't really want to switch it off
though...I updated ZA to include my routers IP as a trusted zone which
seemed to work for a minute but ive had problems since with the speed
of my connection and I have just had the timeout issue again. Funny
thing is that when this timeout connection issue happens I can still
search on google without any problems?!

Even shutting down zone alarm and restarting does not cure the issue.
I have to reboot.

Any ideas what i am doing wrong - do i trust XPs inbuilt firewall
instead?

What router are you using for broadband?

If you have a NAT router, hosting no web based services and have a
strong anti-viris program, you are fine to remove ZA.

Jim