PC networking over your existing household mains power supply.

Old May 29th 05, 05:18 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
.......L.......

Default PC networking over your existing household mains power supply.

Hi..
PC networking over your existing household mains power supply.
ie, you plug a unit into the mains supply and the plug your ethernet cable
and they say its sorted for access through out the house...
Any one tried this type of kit at all ?
Cheers ta !

Old May 29th 05, 06:04 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Michael Salem

PC networking over your existing household mains power supply.
ie, you plug a unit into the mains supply and the plug your ethernet cable
and they say its sorted for access through out the house...
Any one tried this type of kit at all ?

Yes. I had an intractable WiFi setup and couldn't get the signal up
three floors, even with a repeater in the middle.

I put in a pair of mains devices in the "Devolo MicroLink dLAN HomePlug
Ethernet Starter Kit" and set them up. They worked fine, at 2MB/sec, if
plugged directly into the mains socket nearest the remote computer. They
wouldn't work at all if I added a short mains extension cable -- they
must have been at the extreme end of their range at this location.

You'll find details at the Devolo web site.

HTH,
--
Michael Salem
Old May 30th 05, 04:23 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
.......L.......

Micheal,
Thank you.
The distance I have to cover is not that far so I think I will give them a
try.
Lee

Old June 3rd 05, 03:35 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Michael Salem

I'm not sure if this is still relevant, but I just noticed that it
hadn't been sent (I wrote it days ago)

........L....... wrote:

Michael,
Thank you.
The distance I have to cover is not that far so I think I will give them a
try.
Lee

Glad to be of help. I referred you to the website so you can check
details, but I should say that they won't work straight out of the box;
you do have to do a simple software setup before they will communicate
(this deals with the potential problem of neighbours with the same
hardware!)

Best wishes,
--
Michael Salem