Signal Strength variations

Old June 2nd 05, 05:33 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mark Wood

Default Signal Strength variations

Can anyone explain this to me, I have a bt voyager 2100 wireless router in
my house, my laptop is a sony vaio with intergrated wireless processor, my
desktop pc has a bt 802.11g wireless adapter fitted in it. the desktop
machine is located in my office which is seperate from my house located at
the bottom of the garden ( about 100 feet from the router)when i have the
laptop in the office it tells me i have good or very good signal strength
yet the desktop pc alternates between having no signal and very poor signal,
how can this be when they are sat just inches away from one another, is
there anything i can do to resolve the problem and increase the signal to
the desktop machine.
(moving the router to the office is not an option, nor can i move it in the
house anywhere closer to the office)
Regards
Mark

Old June 2nd 05, 06:20 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Phil Thompson

On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 15:33:14 +0000 (UTC), "Mark Wood"
wrote:

how can this be when they are sat just inches away from one another, is
there anything i can do to resolve the problem and increase the signal to
the desktop machine.

put an external antenna on it that isn't hidden behind a metal
computer full of interference sources ?

or get a USB wireless NIC on a cable that you can optimally position.

Consider a directional antenna on the router to focus the signal on
the office ?

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !
Old June 3rd 05, 02:23 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Michael Salem

Mark Wood wrote:

laptop in the office it tells me i have good or very good signal strength
yet the desktop pc alternates between having no signal and very poor signal,
how can this be when they are sat just inches away from one

You need to distinguish between a possible signal strength problem (due
to reflections, standing waves, interfering equipment, etc.) and
differences in performance of the two WNIC/driver combinations. Try
moving things around; if signal strength varies as you move, look at the
signal; if not, look at the equipment: make of card, out-of-date
drivers, etc.

HTH,
--
Michael Salem

Old June 5th 05, 11:02 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mark Wood

Where can i get my hands on an external antenna to suit the bt network card
and also the router ?

Old June 7th 05, 11:10 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dean Jarratt

"Mark Wood" wrote in
:

Can anyone explain this to me, I have a bt voyager 2100 wireless
router in my house, my laptop is a sony vaio with intergrated wireless
processor, my desktop pc has a bt 802.11g wireless adapter fitted in
it. the desktop machine is located in my office which is seperate from
my house located at the bottom of the garden ( about 100 feet from the
router)when i have the laptop in the office it tells me i have good or
very good signal strength yet the desktop pc alternates between having
no signal and very poor signal, how can this be when they are sat just
inches away from one another, is there anything i can do to resolve
the problem and increase the signal to the desktop machine.
(moving the router to the office is not an option, nor can i move it
in the house anywhere closer to the office)
Regards
Mark

Bit of a long shot, but if you put a wireless hub in the office as close as
to the house as possible, and in a very good position. That should keep a
strong link to the router, then your PC and laptop can connect the short
distance to the hub.