XP Network ... help!

Old June 4th 05, 12:04 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Nick H.

Default XP Network ... help!

Hi all.
I have two PC's running XP Pro, and a broadband connection.
One machine is connected directly to the LiveBox modem/router by RJ45, and
the second is connected wirelessly. Both access the Internet no problem, but
I cannot get the two PC's to network with each other.
I have done all the wizard stuff a hundred times, with no joy. This has to
be easy ... what am I doing wrong (or not doing right)?

All help greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Nick H.

Old June 4th 05, 12:18 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Martin Underwood

"Nick H." wrote in message
Hi all.
I have two PC's running XP Pro, and a broadband connection.
One machine is connected directly to the LiveBox modem/router by RJ45, and
the second is connected wirelessly. Both access the Internet no problem,
but I cannot get the two PC's to network with each other.
I have done all the wizard stuff a hundred times, with no joy. This has to
be easy ... what am I doing wrong (or not doing right)?

All help greatly appreciated.

What error do you get? Are you trying to connect from one PC to a shared
drive/printer on the other?

Things to check a

- Can one PC ping the other?
* on one PC: Start | Run | cmd
* on one PC: ipconfig
* on one PC: (note the IP address)
* on other PC: Start | Run | cmd
* on other PC: ping 192.168.0.2 (assuming that's the IP address noted
above)

- If the PCs have software firewalls such as Norton Internet Security, has
it been configured to regard the 192.168.x.x subnet as "friendly" and not to
apply normal firewall rules to it? In Norton, it's under the Configure
option of Personal Firewall, on the Network tabsheet

- Does the LiveBox have "wireless isolation" to prevent two different PCs
that connect via wireless talking to each other (the can only talk to the
internet)? This *may* also prevent wired-to-wireless communication - not
sure quite how this feature normally works.

- Assuming that the PCs are not part of a domain (which would typically
require a server in addition to the PCs) then you'll need to create users
with the same username and the same password on the two different PCs and
you'll need to set the share and directory permissions to allow the users
read (and maybe write) access, depending on whether you want the users to be
able to modify as well as read the contents of the other PC's shared
drive(s).

Old June 4th 05, 01:12 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Nick H.

Hi Martin, and thanks for such a swift reply.

However ...

I don't get an error, per se ... I simply cannot see the other machine. Each
PC can only see itself on the 'network'.
The C drives are shared on each PC.
All firewalls have been uninstalled/disabled.
The username and password is identical on both machines (administrator).
Both PC's can ping each other.

FYI, the PC's were previously networked:
PC1 by USB direct to the modem/router and PC2 wirelessly.
Now PC1 is connected by ethernet to the router ... PC2 still wirelessly.
At a loss...

Cheers.

Nick H.

Old June 4th 05, 03:27 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Christo

"Nick H." wrote in message
Hi Martin, and thanks for such a swift reply.

However ...

I don't get an error, per se ... I simply cannot see the other machine.
Each PC can only see itself on the 'network'.
The C drives are shared on each PC.
All firewalls have been uninstalled/disabled.
The username and password is identical on both machines (administrator).
Both PC's can ping each other.

FYI, the PC's were previously networked:
PC1 by USB direct to the modem/router and PC2 wirelessly.
Now PC1 is connected by ethernet to the router ... PC2 still wirelessly.
At a loss...

Cheers.

Nick H.

you did map the drive/folder your sharing files on?

if both machines can ping then they are obviously connected

are you sure its pinging properly?

check all IP addresses and subnet masks, make sure you have drives map

try going to run on a machine by clicking start and type the following

\\192.168.x.x (ip address of the other machine) and press enter

do you get any error messages? if so then something is wrong at a very basic
level, like i mentioned IPs and subnet masks

post back how you get on trying \\192.168.x.x in run

HTH

Christo

Old June 4th 05, 11:42 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article , Nick H. says...
Hi Martin, and thanks for such a swift reply.

However ...

I don't get an error, per se ... I simply cannot see the other machine.

Go into Windows Firewall/whatever firewall you're using and enable File
and Printer Sharing as its usually blocked by default.

If that still doesn't work try:
Start, Run and enter \\ip address of other machine

Can take a good few minutes for the other computer to appear in My
Network.

--
Conor

"Be incomprehensible. If they can't understand, they can't disagree"
Old June 4th 05, 03:09 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
F9

"Nick H." wrote in message
Hi all.
I have two PC's running XP Pro, and a broadband connection.
One machine is connected directly to the LiveBox modem/router by RJ45, and
the second is connected wirelessly. Both access the Internet no problem,
but I cannot get the two PC's to network with each other.
I have done all the wizard stuff a hundred times, with no joy. This has to
be easy ... what am I doing wrong (or not doing right)?

All help greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Nick H.

I was told earlier by this group to make sure both had a guest account
active and .................. Bother. Cant remember the other thing.

Do a google groups on this group for about 2/3 weeks ago and it will come
up.

By the way, worked first time after i did what i was told - shame that isn't
true for everything.

Old June 4th 05, 03:16 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dr Teeth

On Sat, 4 Jun 2005 15:09:06 +0100, "F9" wrote:

I was told earlier by this group to make sure both had a guest account
active

Not necessary at all.

My network is working 100% and my guest accounts are off.

--
Cheers,

Guy

Old June 4th 05, 03:23 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
F9

"Dr Teeth" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 4 Jun 2005 15:09:06 +0100, "F9" wrote:

I was told earlier by this group to make sure both had a guest account
active

Not necessary at all.

My network is working 100% and my guest accounts are off.

--
Cheers,

Guy

You are probably right, I'm only a newbie, but this was the advice I was
given (below) and it worked for me.

"Look at the WINS tab of the Advanced button of TCP/IP properties of
each conenction and ensure "Use NetBIOS over TCP/IP" is checked

Ensure you have either a) guest access enabled on all machines or b)
the same username and password combination existing on all machines
including use of only CAPITALS if any Win98 / ME machines are
involved. Blank passwords may not work. Option a) is simpler.

Phil "

Old June 4th 05, 03:50 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dr Teeth

On Sat, 4 Jun 2005 15:23:03 +0100, "F9" wrote:

"Look at the WINS tab of the Advanced button of TCP/IP properties of
each conenction and ensure "Use NetBIOS over TCP/IP" is checked

Did not change the Win XP default here.

Ensure you have either a) guest access enabled on all machines or b)
the same username and password combination existing on all machines
including use of only CAPITALS if any Win98 / ME machines are
involved. Blank passwords may not work. Option a) is simpler.

Same username/password is not necessary. You'll just get asked for
them when you try to login.

I'm newish to this too...it seems that things don't work when the
settings say they should...I think some reboots may be needed along
the way.

--
Cheers,

Guy

Old June 4th 05, 04:35 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
John Steele

"Dr Teeth" wrote in message
On Sat, 4 Jun 2005 15:23:03 +0100, "F9" wrote:

"Look at the WINS tab of the Advanced button of TCP/IP properties of
each conenction and ensure "Use NetBIOS over TCP/IP" is checked

Did not change the Win XP default here.

Ensure you have either a) guest access enabled on all machines or b)
the same username and password combination existing on all machines
including use of only CAPITALS if any Win98 / ME machines are
involved. Blank passwords may not work. Option a) is simpler.

Same username/password is not necessary. You'll just get asked for
them when you try to login.

I'm newish to this too...it seems that things don't work when the
settings say they should...I think some reboots may be needed along
the way.

There is a strange quirk in Windows file sharing since SP2. It is connected
to the Windows Firewall. the symptoms are that your Workgroup is not visible
on one of the computers in the local network. It is in fact the first one to
be powered up. This should not happen and the fix seems illogical but it
works fro me. This only applies if the Windows Firewall is active. A third
party firewall that disables the Windows Firewall changes the behaviour.

The following is a copy of a post I made on 15 April under the heading
"Workgroup not accessible - fixed"

I have been getting the message "Workgroup not accessible. You may not have
permission to access..." intermittently on one of my computers name WK02.
The other two computer in the workgroup are fine, although they are unable
to see WK02 as members of the workgroup. They can still access shares and
printers on WK02 even though they cannot browse the computer. All Workgroup
computers are XP (2 running Pro, one running Home) with full updates.

I have fixed the problem and have generated this post in the hope it will
help someone else. It would also be interesting if any experts could give an
explanation as to what is actually going wrong.

I discovered that if one of the other two computers were switched on first
(i.e. they became the master browser) then WK02 was visible to them and WK02
could browse the workgroup correctly. If WK02 was switched on first (the
normal situation as it is a desktop, the other two are laptops) then the
workgroup browsing fails.

After eliminating all other factors, and some research with Ethereal, I
discovered that it was the Windows firewall that was blocking the UDP ports
137 and 138. The Advanced setting for file and printer sharing was Own
Network as one would expect. The firewall log showed these were being
blocked. See below for port 138:

2005-04-15 09:36:44 DROP UDP 192.168.x.101 192.168.x.255 138 138
211 - - - - - - - RECEIVE

This is a broadcast message being sent out to the subnet from 192.168.x.101
and the receiving of this message being blocked by the firewall.

I changed the setting to custom using the network setting of
192.168.x.0/255.255.255.0 (x is the local subnet number) for both these UDP
ports and SUCCESS. The computer now behaves as expected.

I did try changing my network to a static IP address.
I did try disabling my other firewall (Kerio 2.5.1) to eliminate that from
the equation - no different
I did try enabling and disabling the Windows firewall several times and
found the results consistent

My other two computers have alterative firewall products and these have
disabled the Windows firewall. Everything else works.

The question remains - why is putting a custom scope, set to my network
address/subnet mask, any different from the default? I notice that the log
shows a mask of 192.168.x.255 rather than the 255.255.255.0 that one would
normally expect.

I hope this might help somebody

John Steele