RJ45 length

Old June 7th 05, 12:14 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Tx2

Default RJ45 length

'Googling' leads me to believe 100m is the maximum length for a single run
of CAT5 network cable. I need to run 50m at least, from one PC to another.
Wireless isn't an option due to location and the absolute reliability of
connection required. Is 50m of CAT5 likely to cause me any major issues?

Old June 7th 05, 12:34 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
McSpreader

"Tx2" wrote in
:

'Googling' leads me to believe 100m is the maximum length for a
single run of CAT5 network cable.

Correct

I need to run 50m at least,
from one PC to another. Wireless isn't an option due to location
and the absolute reliability of connection required. Is 50m of
CAT5 likely to cause me any major issues?

Not due to the cable length.
Old June 7th 05, 08:43 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mike Scott

McSpreader wrote:
"Tx2" wrote in
:

'Googling' leads me to believe 100m is the maximum length for a
single run of CAT5 network cable.

Correct

I need to run 50m at least,
from one PC to another. Wireless isn't an option due to location
and the absolute reliability of connection required. Is 50m of
CAT5 likely to cause me any major issues?

Not due to the cable length.

But don't forget hubs and switches will add to the effective length.

various domains listed at www.scottsonline.org.uk
Mike Scott Harlow Essex England.(unet -a-t- scottsonline.org.uk)
Old June 7th 05, 09:47 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Martin Underwood

"Mike Scott" wrote in message
McSpreader wrote:
"Tx2" wrote in
:
'Googling' leads me to believe 100m is the maximum length for a
single run of CAT5 network cable.

Correct

I need to run 50m at least,
from one PC to another. Wireless isn't an option due to location
and the absolute reliability of connection required. Is 50m of
CAT5 likely to cause me any major issues?

Not due to the cable length.

But don't forget hubs and switches will add to the effective length.

Roughly how much will they add? Is it a fixed amount (maybe differing from
one model of hub to another) or is it a proportion of the actual cable
length?

Old June 7th 05, 10:03 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dean Jarratt

Mike Scott wrote in
:

McSpreader wrote:
"Tx2" wrote in
:

'Googling' leads me to believe 100m is the maximum length for a
single run of CAT5 network cable.

Correct

I need to run 50m at least,
from one PC to another. Wireless isn't an option due to location
and the absolute reliability of connection required. Is 50m of
CAT5 likely to cause me any major issues?

Not due to the cable length.

But don't forget hubs and switches will add to the effective length.

No problem with 50m. No problem with 200m if you put a hub/repeater in
the middle, that's if my memory serves me right. I think you can have
four hub/repeaters before the latency will cause too many late
collisions.
Old June 7th 05, 10:44 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mike Scott

Dean Jarratt wrote:
Mike Scott wrote in
:

McSpreader wrote:

"Tx2" wrote in
:

'Googling' leads me to believe 100m is the maximum length for a
single run of CAT5 network cable.

Correct

I need to run 50m at least,

from one PC to another. Wireless isn't an option due to location

and the absolute reliability of connection required. Is 50m of
CAT5 likely to cause me any major issues?

Not due to the cable length.

But don't forget hubs and switches will add to the effective length.

No problem with 50m. No problem with 200m if you put a hub/repeater in
the middle, that's if my memory serves me right. I think you can have
four hub/repeaters before the latency will cause too many late
collisions.

Might be worth browsing the linksys product manuals which are online.
Although I'm not totally convinced, as they seem to suggest 100m each
side of a plain hub; I thought it was 100m end-to-end less the hub's
effective length. They do suggest only 2 hubs though. But I doubt that
will worry the OP.

various domains listed at www.scottsonline.org.uk
Mike Scott Harlow Essex England.(unet -a-t- scottsonline.org.uk)
Old June 7th 05, 11:14 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Alex Fraser

"Dean Jarratt" wrote in message
Mike Scott wrote in
:
McSpreader wrote:
"Tx2" wrote in
:
'Googling' leads me to believe 100m is the maximum length for a
single run of CAT5 network cable.

Correct

[snip]
Is 50m of CAT5 likely to cause me any major issues?

Not due to the cable length.

But don't forget hubs and switches will add to the effective length.

No problem with 50m. No problem with 200m if you put a hub/repeater in
the middle, that's if my memory serves me right. I think you can have
four hub/repeaters before the latency will cause too many late
collisions.

If two transmitters are that far apart (in time) and they are both
transmitting any significant amount, won't there be many late collisions? In
other words, unless the load is light, you either have no late collisions or
lots - with fairly disastrous results.

AFAICS the 100m limit is purely to cope with signal loss and/or degradation.
Do hubs and repeaters regenerate or just amplify the signal?

Is there a limit on the number of "chained" switches, and if so, why?

Alex

Old June 7th 05, 01:15 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Christo

"Alex Fraser" wrote in message
"Dean Jarratt" wrote in message
Mike Scott wrote in
:
McSpreader wrote:
"Tx2" wrote in
:
'Googling' leads me to believe 100m is the maximum length for a
single run of CAT5 network cable.

Correct

[snip]
Is 50m of CAT5 likely to cause me any major issues?

Not due to the cable length.

But don't forget hubs and switches will add to the effective length.

No problem with 50m. No problem with 200m if you put a hub/repeater in
the middle, that's if my memory serves me right. I think you can have
four hub/repeaters before the latency will cause too many late
collisions.

not if you use a switch also....full duplex mode will allow data to transmit
in both directions at the same time? Between two hosts there isn't a very
great chance of colisions, in a sense switches eliminate the whole collision
thing, so just use a switch, also full duplex :-)

Old June 7th 05, 02:40 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dean Jarratt

"Alex Fraser" wrote in
:

"Dean Jarratt" wrote in message
Mike Scott wrote in
:
McSpreader wrote:
"Tx2" wrote in
:
[...]

The 4 repeater rule is to cope with late collisions, any more than this and
as you rightly say 'late collisions' become apparent.

It also depends greatly on the speed of the ethernet as this affects the
slot-time involved. The slot-time is the maximum distance that bits may
travel before they hit a collision and the sending station can detect the
collision. Because it would take longer to transmit on a 10-Base-T network
it means that collisions can be detected further than on a high speed
connection, hence late collisions don't happen as often.

Having too many switches for a transmission to pass through will eventually
create too much latency for the network to perform well. I guess there's no
hard and fast rule with switches and latency because each switch can
introduce different latencies, depending on how the frame is switched.
Old June 7th 05, 07:14 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Clint Sharp

In message ,
Martin Underwood writes
But don't forget hubs and switches will add to the effective length.

Roughly how much will they add? Is it a fixed amount (maybe differing from
one model of hub to another) or is it a proportion of the actual cable
length?

I'm not exactly sure who has the misunderstanding here, but you can
'extend' a network to twice the length of the 'bare' cable by adding a
hub in the centre, the reason is that the hub/switch can re-time and
clean up the signal.
There is the 3,4,5 rule, basically, three cable segments with hosts,
four repeaters and five segments total, so a total length for CAT5 of 5
times the maximum single cable run is possible (500m IIRC) without any
'special' equipment like fibre converters, you just need four powered
hubs/switches and you can run five 100m lengths of cable (Usually
regarded as 90m plus patch cable length IIRC )
--
Clint Sharp