Netgear DG834GT router and WG311T PCI card: WEP and WPA security

Old June 7th 05, 10:51 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Martin Underwood

Default Netgear DG834GT router and WG311T PCI card: WEP and WPA security

I was trying to set up wireless security between this router and card
yesterday. The WG311T (on a Windows 98SE PC) had problems:

- When I selected WPA on the configuration app, it said "not supported:
reinstall the drivers", but this made no difference

- When I seleted WEP, the card would only connect at 1 Mbps (unencrypted it
connected at 36-54 Mbps) with the router about 1 metre from the card, and
although the PC got an IP address via DHCP, the PC could not ping the router
or browse the internet

- With no encryption, everything worked perfectly.

In each case, I set the router and the card to use the same passphrase and
the same encryption standard (obviously!). If I deliberately set the card to
the wrong passphrase, no connection was established, as I'd expect, so it
doesn't look as if the low connection speed and lack of ping were the result
of mismatched keys; however I didn't try explicitly setting keys in hex on
both devices in case the phrase-hex algorithm was producing differnt
results on the router and card.

I established that the router would quite happily talk to my DG111 USB
wireless adaptor in either WEP or WPA mode, so it looks as if it's a PC/card
problem.

Anyone any suggestions? Despite setting MAC address filtering, I don't like
leaving the network insecure.

Old June 7th 05, 11:22 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dean Jarratt

"Martin Underwood" wrote in
:

I was trying to set up wireless security between this router and card
yesterday. The WG311T (on a Windows 98SE PC) had problems:

- When I selected WPA on the configuration app, it said "not
supported: reinstall the drivers", but this made no difference

- When I seleted WEP, the card would only connect at 1 Mbps
(unencrypted it connected at 36-54 Mbps) with the router about 1 metre
from the card, and although the PC got an IP address via DHCP, the PC
could not ping the router or browse the internet

I had one of those PCI cards, and a Netgear router. I believe I had to
upgrade the firmware on one of the devices (probably the PCI card). Once I
had done this all connectivity issues seemed to resolve.

I remember thinking at the time, that it was strange that both devices were
Netgear yet refused to talk to each other with any reliability.
Old June 9th 05, 11:31 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Alan Walker

Dean Jarratt wrote:
"Martin Underwood" wrote in
:

I was trying to set up wireless security between this router and card
yesterday. The WG311T (on a Windows 98SE PC) had problems:

- When I selected WPA on the configuration app, it said "not
supported: reinstall the drivers", but this made no difference

- When I seleted WEP, the card would only connect at 1 Mbps
(unencrypted it connected at 36-54 Mbps) with the router about 1
metre from the card, and although the PC got an IP address via DHCP,
the PC could not ping the router or browse the internet

I had one of those PCI cards, and a Netgear router. I believe I had to
upgrade the firmware on one of the devices (probably the PCI card).
Once I had done this all connectivity issues seemed to resolve.

I remember thinking at the time, that it was strange that both
devices were Netgear yet refused to talk to each other with any
reliability.

Hi,

I bought some similar kit a while ago and after playing with it for a while
I got all new drivers online and suddenly it worked.

--
Alan

(viciously spam-filtered)

Old June 9th 05, 11:57 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Martin Underwood

"Alan Walker" wrote in message
Dean Jarratt wrote:
"Martin Underwood" wrote in
:

[...]

OK. When I go back to the customer I'll try with the latest router firmware
and card drivers.