Opinions

Old June 7th 05, 02:17 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Eyghon

Default Opinions

Hi,

Looking to buy new Router and narrowed it down to D-Link DI-804HV, LinkSys
RV042 or Netgear FVS318\328.

Anyone using any of the above.

l8r

Old June 7th 05, 06:05 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Tx2

"Eyghon" wrote in message
. uk...

Looking to buy new Router and narrowed it down to D-Link DI-804HV, LinkSys
RV042 or Netgear FVS318\328.

Reasons for doing so? Why those routers? Cost, features etc?

Anyone using any of the above.

Not personally, but if you mention your intended usage, folk might give more
informative responses?

Old June 8th 05, 03:51 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Eyghon

"Tx2" wrote in message

Reasons for doing so? Why those routers? Cost, features etc?

Reason for doing so is mainly that my current Router doesn't have VPN or
SPI. I have 3 Permanent computers linked + ones I'm building\repairing etc
and also for gaming weekends. I also need ability the link up VPN in the
very near future.

Why those Routers?.

Brand, Cost, Reliablity, Security and from what I can tell good Port
Forwarding etc for Online gaming. The Linksys is in there because I've used
my current Linksys router for about 3 years now without problem. Not sure
why the D-Link is roughly half price of the others?

I have toyed with the idea of going Wireless but seeing as I currently have
a wired network I don't really see the point.

Old June 8th 05, 08:38 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Robin Grayson

On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 14:51:03 GMT, "Eyghon" wrote:

"Tx2" wrote in message

[...]

You didn't mention them, but the Draytek 2600's are a nice piece of
kit. I have the 2600VGi which will also manage true VPN connections,
not just VPN pass-through.
Old June 8th 05, 10:28 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Eyghon

"Robin Grayson" wrote in message
On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 14:51:03 GMT, "Eyghon" wrote:

You didn't mention them, but the Draytek 2600's are a nice piece of
kit. I have the 2600VGi which will also manage true VPN connections,
not just VPN pass-through.

OK, a mate has a Vigor2600, not sure if it's 2600Plus or other model though.
I did briefly look at the 2100V but it doesn't have VPN AFAIK.

I forgot to mention I use a cable modem so don't need ADSL.

l8r

Old June 9th 05, 12:02 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Robin Grayson

On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 21:28:46 GMT, "Eyghon" wrote:

"Robin Grayson" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 14:51:03 GMT, "Eyghon" wrote:

You didn't mention them, but the Draytek 2600's are a nice piece of
kit. I have the 2600VGi which will also manage true VPN connections,
not just VPN pass-through.

OK, a mate has a Vigor2600, not sure if it's 2600Plus or other model though.
I did briefly look at the 2100V but it doesn't have VPN AFAIK.

I forgot to mention I use a cable modem so don't need ADSL.

l8r

The 2900 is for cable, and supports VPN - PPTP and IPSEC