Static IP addresses

Old June 10th 05, 12:52 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Andy Hoe

Default Static IP addresses

Hello, I have a small network (mainly wireless) and am having trouble
acquiring an IP address on one of the machines, this happened when I
bought a replacement USB network adapter. If I try and connect to my
router (Belkin F5D7632), it'll connect but not get an IP address.
However, if I connect to a wireless access point plugged in to the
router I will get an IP which I find strange, I'll also get an IP from
the router if I take off the WEP protection. Any ideas?
I also wanted to try out giving it a static IP address to see if that
would sort out another problem I have but when I do I can't connect to
anything - I suspect it's a DNS thing but not sure really what I should
put in the settings, I set the address, I set the default gateway and
the DNS settings to the router (The router gets its DNS directly from
the ISP) Do I need to find out the ISP's (BT openworld) DNS address and
put that in instead?
Thanks for any help
Andy
Old June 10th 05, 10:37 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Phil Thompson

On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 23:52:48 +0100, Andy Hoe
wrote:

If I try and connect to my
router (Belkin F5D7632), it'll connect but not get an IP address.
However, if I connect to a wireless access point plugged in to the
router I will get an IP which I find strange, I'll also get an IP from
the router if I take off the WEP protection. Any ideas?

sounds like the WEP setting matches the access point but not the
router ?

other thought is you have two DHCP servers running and falling over
each other ? one in router other in AP.

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !
Old June 10th 05, 12:05 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Andy Hoe

The WEP settings are the same in both the router and the access point,
I had to set them same as each other to get it all working in the first
place. Don't think the access point is a DHCP server, I assumed it was
getting it from the router instead?

Old June 10th 05, 12:45 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Phil Thompson

On 10 Jun 2005 03:05:44 -0700, "Andy Hoe"
wrote:

Don't think the access point is a DHCP server, I assumed it was
getting it from the router instead?

access points often have DHCP servers to dole out IPs to their
wireless clients. Worth checking it doesn't or its off.

Phil